User comments on ISPs
  >> AOL

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User cwaite
(newbie) Tue 04-Dec-12 10:18:30
Print Post

AOL - Change of Address Nightmare

[link to this post]

A friend of mine recently moved home it was only 2 roads away from the old property and because the old and new property are on the same exchange they were able to take their telephone number with them, because of this they automatically assumed as they moved their BT Line (who they pay line rental to) and their telephone number their AOL broadband would move with them, however, this has not been the case.

We contacted AOL to inform them that my friend moved property 2 weeks ago and asked them to move the broadband to the new property, they said that the line in the old property had not been cancelled and we should contact BT to get the old line cancelled then they can proceed with the order.

I contacted BT who said the old line was cancelled when the number was transferred to the new property and they could not see any reason why AOL could not transfer the broadband to the new property.

I called AOL again who now said that the new line had not been completely setup, I informed them I was calling them from the new line, which my friend had been making and receiving phonecalls from for the past 2 weeks, so it definately is setup, they said that once again we needed to contact BT to find out why the line has not been setup.

So again I called BT who said the line is completely setup it the order was complete 2 weeks ago and they have no idea why AOL cannot setup broadband in the new property.

So again I called AOL this time they said that because the package my friend has is no longer avaliable they cannot transfer the package to the new property, they could only do this if my friend agreed to take out a Talktalk phone line rental and broadband package. I said we were not prepared to do this we just wanted the current service moved to the new property I asked to speak to a supervisor but kept being told their was no-one avaliable eventually I was put on hold and left in a queue for half and hour before I gave up.

So now I have spoken to 3 different people at AOL who have given me 3 different reasons for not being able to transfer the service to the new property, this is so unprofessional, I am sure Charles Dunstone does not have to go through this rubbish when he has to contact AOL (talktalk customer services).

I now do not know who to believe or what to do, AOL cannot move the brodband to the new property but they are still able to take the direct debit each month to pay for the service we cannot receive.

Does anyone have a direct number for someone who can talk some sense on what is happening here, does any one from AOL monitor these forums that could possibly help.

Thanks
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 04-Dec-12 13:47:26
Print Post

Re: AOL - Change of Address Nightmare

[re: cwaite] [link to this post]

AOL don't cover a Home Move in their contract; you have to take a new contract:
5.1 Moving House

You may only use AOL Broadband via the broadband connection at your address. If you move house and want to access AOL Broadband at your new address, you will have to set up a new AOL Broadband connection at that new address. You accept that the installation of a new service in your new home will usually attract new line connection charges and a new minimum term contract.
In reply to a post by cwaite:
So again I called AOL this time they said that because the package my friend has is no longer avaliable they cannot transfer the package to the new property, they could only do this if my friend agreed to take out a Talktalk phone line rental and broadband package.
That's ridiculous! They still sell their BB Only Package on their website: http://www.aolbroadband.co.uk/products/broadband-onl...

You need to cancel your old AOL contract and order AOL BB Only at the new address from afresh.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User ManOfManyBikes
(newbie) Tue 04-Dec-12 13:54:45
Print Post

Why on earth are you still wanting to stay with AOL ? Surely easier to ditch AOL on the BB front and take out a new contract with BT, or if yor really want NO hassle then go to ZEN

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User cwaite
(newbie) Tue 04-Dec-12 17:41:36
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

We contacted the customer retention department, and asked them for a MAC code, they said they would email it (which was very helpful considering we have no broadband which will enable us to get online to recieve the email!!!) Afterwards they said they would also post the MAC code. So its off to plusnet we go (if the MAC code arrives!)

I guess Talktalk are trying their best to run AOL down and get everyone across to talktalk.
Standard User Bob_s2
(committed) Tue 04-Dec-12 18:19:58
Print Post

Well it would not do. Whilst you can take your number with you it is physically a different line so you would have needed to get your Broadband changed over.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 04-Dec-12 18:39:07
Print Post

(if the MAC code arrives!)
Even if it does, the MAC will do you no good. You now have a diff physical line with no BB on it. So there is nowt to migrate.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 04-Dec-12 21:38:16
Print Post

For moving home a MAC is not valid The MAC refers to the physical copper wires coming into a specific address, so as the voice side has been ceased they will not be able to issue it.

The situation you are in is this:

1. You need to check there are no liabilities for outstanding money on the old AOL contract
2. Decide whether to order a new service from AOL or another provider at the new address

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User cwaite
(newbie) Tue 04-Dec-12 22:22:50
Print Post

Does this mean when AOL said they would issue me with a MAC code, they have once again got it wrong and if I want to go with Plusnet I can just get them to setup broadband on the new line (which has the same telephone number as the old line) without needing a MAC code?

The reason we have decided to leave is that it took 3 phone calls to AOL to find out the real reason why they could not move the broadband service, obviously Talktalk customer services are either get a kick out of lying or they are completely clueless about their jobs!

Edited by cwaite (Tue 04-Dec-12 22:28:58)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 04-Dec-12 22:46:45
Print Post

I think you've probably got the wrong end of the stick, the MAC code was ordered so that I can ditch AOL and setup a new account with Plusnet.
No, it is you who misunderstands the system. You don't need a MAC to leave AOL; you just terminate your contract. You don't need a MAC to join PN cuz you have no BB on your phone line. It is immaterial whether you have the same phone # or not; it is the hard physical line, its cables and connection to exchange that counts; the phone #s are soft programmable by BT.

Standard User cwaite
(newbie) Tue 04-Dec-12 23:15:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
I think you've probably got the wrong end of the stick, the MAC code was ordered so that I can ditch AOL and setup a new account with Plusnet.
No, it is you who misunderstands the system. You don't need a MAC to leave AOL; you just terminate your contract. You don't need a MAC to join PN cuz you have no BB on your phone line. It is immaterial whether you have the same phone # or not; it is the hard physical line, its cables and connection to exchange that counts; the phone #s are soft programmable by BT.

Sorry I am not a genius on this yet, I am a bit of a first timer at this moving a broadband service to a new property whilst the ISP refuses to transfer the current contract lark, but thank you for your clarification on this you have explained it well, I fully understand the process now, we will get in touch with AOL in the morning to cancel the Contract and setup a new one with plusnet.

I am still mystified why AOL said they would issue a MAC code when this is useless in this instance? Perhaps AOL should employ you XRaySpeX as you seem to know more about the system then they do!

Thanks again

Edited by cwaite (Tue 04-Dec-12 23:24:31)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to