User comments on ISPs
  >> AOL

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User wineba
(newbie) Wed 12-Feb-14 10:01:40
Print Post

AOL and talk talk complaints

[link to this post]

Two weeks ago I contacted AOL Broadband whom I have been with since 1998, to discuss upgrading to a fibre optic supply and inclusive landline package with Talk Talk. On returning home that evening I found my AOL broadband had stopped. Several hours of calling the help teams in India and South Africa, I was told there was a bar on the account due to billing. Billing said ' there is no problem with your account itís paid every month by direct debit and we have received the payment ok'. Technical support were stumped and said it would take at least 48 hours to resolve, meanwhile I have no internet service! 3 days later now Saturday I still have no service; I am now getting really annoyed so ask for my Mac code. Eventually I get through to a customer service manager, he canít understand why my internet has stopped other than to say it has a bar, but the bar has been lifted. He will chase up technical support, but they donít work weekends. On the Sunday my internet starts again. The customer service manager phones me at home and even he is surprised why it has started again, but says the bar has now been lifted. I have in the meanwhile officially made two complaints. He says do I still want to leave AOL and not take up the TalkTalk/Aol package. If I stay with them he will offer me free line rental for 12 months, unlimited anytime calls and unlimited broadband download. PLUS until the migration to Talk Talk in approx two weeks AOL broadband fees will be waived. I agree. I ask for a letter of confirmation. This arrives on 4th February; the letter confirms that my AOL Broadband will continue up to migration on 18th February when the Talk Talk engineer will be at my house. (The service may be down for a couple of hours). I agree, on 11th February a week before the migration, my broadband has stopped!
Back on the phone to India, now it appears that because I am moving to Talk Talk, Aol Broadband has stopped my service. I quote the letter which states provision of service up to migration date, and require AOL to reconnect my internet. I am told this canít be done (isnít it just a flick of a switch somewhere?), it will take 2 weeks to reconnect me to AOL broadband.I tell them the migration date is only one week away! I log another complaint.
Eventually I get through to another customer service manager. Repeat the whole story. Net result Ėwe cant connect you back to the internet. They donít know why the cut off and migration date is one week apart! But Offered the same discounts on Talk Talk as previously given, including now, 1 months free line rental of £15.40. What do you think my reply was? I start saying I am going to report this to Ofcom/Telecom, only to be told that if that was the case they would end the phone call as I am not accepting their resolution. I am told it will go to CEO, for a resolution. I tell them the only resolution I will accept is for the Talk Talk engineer to be rescheduled to my house within the next 48hrs and get me online sooner rather than a week away.
What are my options please!
Be warned every one if you consider upgrading your package with AOL/Talk Talk. I wish I had gone with BT Infinity now.
Standard User fabyon
(committed) Sat 15-Feb-14 13:52:18
Print Post

Re: AOL and talk talk complaints

[re: wineba] [link to this post]

This is so weird as AOL broadband service is owned by Talk Talk (if I remember correctly) surely migrating your service from AOL to Talk Talk is an 'in-house' move even if you went for fibre, they should have the ability to arrange a switchover which should be very smooth. Baffled by the whole thing to be honest.

Sky Broadband
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 15-Feb-14 22:34:10
Print Post

[re: fabyon] [link to this post]

Yes, that was my reaction on reading OP, so much so I didn't bother responding grin.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User vimto_girl
(member) Sun 16-Feb-14 11:21:33
Print Post

When someone can't handle a screwdriver, don't pass them the electric drill.

Probably better to stay and fleece them from now on rather than cut your nose.
Standard User Jax2
(newbie) Sun 16-Feb-14 14:06:42
Print Post

[re: vimto_girl] [link to this post]

I left AOL/Talk Talk because of their appalling support and wouldn't go back to them if they paid me to supply the broadband. If you are going to be tied in to them for another 18 months then I hope you have no need of support, good luck is all I can say.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 16-Feb-14 16:52:01
Print Post

[re: vimto_girl] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by vimto_girl:
When someone can't handle a screwdriver, don't pass them the electric drill.

Probably better to stay and fleece them from now on rather than cut your nose.
Yeah maybe, but what kind of service is the op going to recieve from stalk talk ? Their CS reputation is as bad, if they have problems with the service, sipport via a forum,lol
I would go though their ADR and claim some compo for their failings, and move to a proper ISP

Edited by tommy45 (Sun 16-Feb-14 16:53:47)

Standard User vimto_girl
(member) Sun 16-Feb-14 18:43:10
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

They've been happy enough to stay with them since 1998 and to stay with them for fibre.

The problems came when trying to upgrade, the pain of which is now (nearly) over.

You may advise to try and cancel and risk them managing another move, I advise enjoying the totally free package for now. That's up to the OP, a lifetime of experience tells me which option will be lighter on the headache and the wallet.
Standard User JimKirk363
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 21-Mar-14 04:36:04
Print Post

Since AOL UK was sold to the Carphone warehouse it has gone down the drain.

A friend of mine a few years ago was on their upto 16mb package and was getting 7.2mb. When Carphone warehouse took over the connection speed gradually dropped down to under 2mb and he was getting all sorts of disconnections even tho it was wired and he even bought a new router and changed the filters and it didn't help and AOL stated that 2mb was all his line could handle and wouldn't listen to the fact he used to have a higher connection.

They sent out two engineers which couldn't find a problem and charged them £99 a time for the engineer and then blamed his new computer that i had built a month previous. So i brought his PC to mine and connected it to my net and my mate stayed overnight and saw there were no disconnections, he took it back home and within less than 2 mins his net dropped out so he could see it was the ISP. He wasn't even a heavy user he used about 45GB a month which is nothing really.

He finally had enough and switched over to sky up to 24mb package unlimited and he gets almost a constant connection of 11mb which he is more than happy with. He has started to use the net more and more for his uni work and sometimes can download upto 150GB a month and his connection remains the same.

AMD FX-4100 X4, MSI 990FXA-GD80, 16GB DDR 3 Cosair Vengence 1600Mhz, 9351.1GB Hard Disk Space, 2GB ATI 6670 HD PCI-E 16x Graphics, 850watt PSU.

Ex AOL Dialup 56k Customer....
Ex Freedom2Surf 512k and Ex Eclipse Internet 2mb Customer.

Virgin Media 120mb Cable.

Virgin Media R EVIL!!!
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3385183799
Standard User JimKirk363
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 21-Mar-14 04:40:29
Print Post

[re: fabyon] [link to this post]

From what i know all AOL UK users were switched over to the carphone warehouse servers which are same as talk talk a year after it was sold to them.

AMD FX-4100 X4, MSI 990FXA-GD80, 16GB DDR 3 Cosair Vengence 1600Mhz, 9351.1GB Hard Disk Space, 2GB ATI 6670 HD PCI-E 16x Graphics, 850watt PSU.

Ex AOL Dialup 56k Customer....
Ex Freedom2Surf 512k and Ex Eclipse Internet 2mb Customer.

Virgin Media 152mb Cable.

Virgin Media R EVIL!!!
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3385183799
  Print Thread

Jump to