User comments on ISPs
  >> AOL

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ProjectGal
(newbie) Tue 15-Apr-14 09:40:39
Print Post

Retaining AOL email addresses after stopping AOL Contract

[link to this post]

I have found threads on a similar topic but nothing that is exactly to same as my situation. Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.
I am in the UK but have been an AOL users since before 1996 when it was still called "America Online". I have moved to broadband but not wireless. My email addresses have always been screenname@aol.com and not @aol.co.uk. Over recent years the service has deteriorated considerably - made worse by TalkTalk not understanding the service I was receiving from AOL such as free webspace that has just disappeared - and I have only stuck with it because it is so cheap.
I am now switching to a tablet and moving to another broadband supplier but really would like to keep my aol email addresses without paying for them.
I was interest to read posts saying that, although I now make my payments to TalkTalk the email adresses, usernames, etc are still owned by AOL Inc.
Does this really mean that I can cancel my contract and my email adresses will continue free of charge?
Thanks for any help you can give as I am not convinced that TalkTalk will even understand my question.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 15-Apr-14 10:10:15
Print Post

Re: Retaining AOL email addresses after stopping AOL Contrac

[re: ProjectGal] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ProjectGal:
the email addresses, usernames, etc are still owned by AOL Inc.
That is indeed correct! When CarPhone Warehouse/TT bought the BB from AOL Inc they did not acquire the email and screen names. AOL Inc still runs the AOL UK site, www.aol.co.uk , where the email resides, while the AOL BB site is on www.aolbroadband.co.uk .

So, yes, you will always retain your free AOL mailbox. My daughter left AOL BB 4 years ago but she still uses her AOL @aol.com email w/out any charge.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Tue 15-Apr-14 10:49:48)

Print Thread

Jump to