User comments on ISPs
  >> AOL

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Modelcity
(newbie) Thu 08-May-14 09:36:28
Print Post

Added telephoneline to AOL BB contract - now no Broadband

[link to this post]

I wonder if anyone elase has had this problem? on 4th of April I moved my BT landline to AOL to add to my existing broadband connection.

After the switchover I have had no internet or rather I'm redirected to the webpage

http://www.talktalk.co.uk/broadbandnotice

Despite having a free router sent to me twice, I'm no further ahead with getting this problem resolved with AOL. THeir fault finding is based round resetting the router rather than any lateral thinking as to why I'm being redirected to the above webpage.

The problem and complaint is escalated for the second time to the Network Team but as the next step seems to be sending an engineer to my house, I think that they are looking at the wrong end of the problem.

I've been with AOL for 17 years on a direct debit payment so I'm not in arrears with payments.

I wonder if anyone has had a similar problem and got it resolved

Thanks

Mark
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 08-May-14 11:13:23
Print Post

Re: Added telephone line to AOL BB contract - now no Broadb

[re: Modelcity] [link to this post]

What's the point of sending an eng. or looking at the router. You obviously have an Internet connection as you are landing on a TT webpage, but it's just that it is being blocked within the TT network before getting out onto the Wider Web.

Notice that it is signed by 'TalkTalk Customer Finance' not their Tech Team as if there is an issue with money frown.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User Modelcity
(newbie) Thu 08-May-14 11:48:24
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

My point exactly!! But getting AOL to understand that seems to be very difficult.....

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User launcelot
(learned) Fri 09-May-14 14:05:48
Print Post

I agree with xrayspecs it is probably some stupid issue with the finance and not a basic technical problem. You could try contacting the finance department and innocently ask if your payments are being taken (though you know they are). You can then point out that you are paying for a non-provided service and follow it from there. When in doubt ask for a supervisor.

Have you been able to check all the settings in the router in case the finance website is some kind of default setting? In all my years with PCs Ive never come across that situation but you never know

geoff
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-May-14 16:06:54
Print Post

Why did you even bother with an ISP who died years ago when there are so many out there? ( and much cheaper/better)
Standard User Stevenage_Neil
(member) Tue 20-May-14 17:37:04
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by pcoventry76:
Why did you even bother with an ISP who died years ago when there are so many out there? ( and much cheaper/better)

What? Like BT or VM?
(knowledge is power) Wed 21-May-14 16:56:13
Print Post

[re: Stevenage_Neil] [link to this post]

I was just saying. For me AOL died the day we were all given our p45's

and that was in 2009.
Standard User fabyon
(experienced) Fri 23-May-14 17:24:12
Print Post

Did they close the Hammersmith office ?

Sky Broadband
(knowledge is power) Tue 27-May-14 07:02:45
Print Post

[re: fabyon] [link to this post]

80 Hammersmith road? I don't actually know. I know they closed the section they had in Bristol. I only went to the London office once.

I believe it's now all based at TT's 11 Evesham Street office.

Most of us at the normal/senior volunteer level were were home based. Mind you I used to get way way more than my expenses from AOL so whilst not technically working for them we did get a wage, sort of.

It was then that some people got greedy and lobbied AOL into making us employees, at which case they said [censored] it and canned the whole program.

AOL was such an amazing place. it's sad to see it now dead (even the USA rooms have shut this year)
Standard User fabyon
(experienced) Wed 28-May-14 22:48:18
Print Post

I can imagine, I remember joining through my job in a bookshop back in 1998 (yikes). I did a bit of unpaid monitoring until bad elements started to seep though and I gave it all up. I know it was truly over when TalkTalk/Carphone Warehouse took over the BB bit of their business. I did have a FRIACO dial-up connection shared by two computers (yikes) until 2005 when I got my first BB connection with Metronet laugh....ahhh the good old days ! lol

Sky Broadband
(knowledge is power) Fri 30-May-14 10:14:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by fabyon:
I can imagine, I remember joining through my job in a bookshop back in 1998 (yikes). I did a bit of unpaid monitoring until bad elements started to seep though and I gave it all up. I know it was truly over when TalkTalk/Carphone Warehouse took over the BB bit of their business. I did have a FRIACO dial-up connection shared by two computers (yikes) until 2005 when I got my first BB connection with Metronet laugh....ahhh the good old days ! lol

So you were a volunteer too? awesome smile

Yes they started to seep in the day they gave the world 0800 access. You got a better class of scum at PAYG rates.

Yes - Metronet - now there's an ISP that was great until they killed it.
Standard User fabyon
(experienced) Sat 31-May-14 17:33:44
Print Post

I can't believe I used to pay 25 quid or so flat rate, then, for 512kps and with an allowance so anything extra we had to pay more, but at that time most ISPs were charging in excess of £35-45... LOL from Metronet I went to Be > O2 > Sky ! laugh

Sky Broadband
(knowledge is power) Mon 02-Jun-14 16:27:41
Print Post

I can't believe I used to pay 25 quid or so flat rate, then, for 512kps and with an allowance so anything extra we had to pay more, but at that time most ISPs were charging in excess of £35-45... LOL from Metronet I went to Be > O2 > Sky ! laugh

My first ADSL connection? 512kbps with Plusnet £65 a month i don't think there was a monthly limit either.

Mind you, coming from a £99 a month always on dialup connection it was a saving too!
Standard User fabyon
(experienced) Mon 02-Jun-14 23:53:12
Print Post

Don't get me started on how much I use to spend on dial-up before friaco. It was with Cable and Wireless (it became NTL after that). It was £35 a month for 90 hours and I remember paying most of the times over 50 quid even £90 at times ........yes I need to get a life ! LOL

Sky Broadband
(knowledge is power) Wed 04-Jun-14 12:27:59
Print Post

Don't get me started on how much I use to spend on dial-up before friaco. It was with Cable and Wireless (it became NTL after that). It was £35 a month for 90 hours and I remember paying most of the times over 50 quid even £90 at times ........yes I need to get a life ! LOL

Mine was always about £360 a quarter phone bill....
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to