User comments on ISPs
  >> AOL

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bloke199
(newbie) Wed 02-Jul-14 17:19:50
Print Post

Unable to leave AOL

[link to this post]

Hi All,

This is a strange one really, I'll try and keep it short, but I'd also want to point out that this is not me that this is happening to, but to a customer of mine who is suffering this problem, who I shall call Mr X.

Heres goes !!!!!

In April of this year, Mr X received a letter from AOL addressed to the benefactor at the address where he lives, stating that AOL have made an awful error, and that from 2009, they have been collecting a direct debit from the account of Mr X's late wife, who passed away in 2009, for a broadband service that they have been providing, and are enclosing a cheque for £800 as a refund. According to AOL, the account was closed, and that the service was cancelled.

Unfortunately, the service wasn't cancelled, and still being provided today. When contact has been made with AOL customer services, they can't deal with the account, as it doesn't exist because it was closed in 2009. The problem has been passed on to Talktalk, who also state that the service is not being provided, and that it has been ceased, again since 2009.

Mr X would now like to leave AOL, and move to Plusnet, however, he can't get a MAC from AOL/Talktalk, because of the above problem that AOL doesn't have Mr X as a customer. The direct debit payments from the account have been cancelled since April.

Mr X doesn't want to particularly change his phone number, or do a cease and reprovide, as he uses the phone and broadband to work from home, and really wouldn't want the hassle of having to contact all of his customers that his number has changed.

So the problems are:
a) how to get a MAC
b) leave AOL without losing broadband connection or change phone number.

Many thanks in advance for any help or replies received.

Cheers,

Bloke199
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 02-Jul-14 20:44:56
Print Post

Re: Unable to leave AOL

[re: bloke199] [link to this post]

Has a formal physical letter being written to AOL/TalkTalk about this?

If the phone line is a WLR one, i.e. NOT fully unbundled then should be possible to order WLR giving the old phone number to the new provider and they will take things over. The old provider simply gets sent a Notification of Transfer letter, which is passed onto the bill payer with a 10 day period to object and say it is not what they want.

Doing this, without complicating the issue by mentioning the billing issues may be a way to get the phone line with another provider who can bill you. Subsequent to this, you can move the broadband to a broadband provider (without them doing the line rental) by them doing a cease and provider on the broadband to clear an old tag.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User bloke199
(newbie) Thu 03-Jul-14 22:00:15
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi Andrew,

Mr X has made numerous phonecalls to AOL, along with letters backwards and forwards to AOL and Talktalk. Mr X has given his permission for the contents to be placed on here, providing no detials of his name, address and telephone number are included.

Contents of letters are as follows:

Letter 1

The Executer of the Estate
XXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXX

7th February 2014

Important, Please Contact AOL Broadband

Dear Sir/ Madam

We would really like to speak to you regarding the AOL Broadband account that belonged to Mr X. A refund of £801 is due on the account, so we'd like to issue it to the executer of the estate.

We've tried to get in contact by telephone, but we've been unable to speak to anyone, so please call us on 0870 0873 535 (lines open Monday - Friday, 1pm - 6pm) and we'll be able to assist you with this matter. Please note, this is a TalkTalk customer service number, AOL Broadband is part of the TalkTalk Group.

We would like to offer our condolences regarding your loss.

Yours sincerely,

XXXXXXXXX

Senior Director, Customer Services

Letter 2

Mr X
XXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXX

12/2/2014

Important Information Regarding your AOL Broadband Account

Dear Mr X,

Following a delay in disconnecting your AOL Broadband account, we've enclosed a cheque to refund any money we owe you.

Please rest assured that your account is now closed, and you don't need to do anything. If you have any questions, you can call us on 0870 0873 535 (lines open Monday - Friday, 1pm - 6pm).

We apologies for any inconvenience this my have caused.

Yours sincerely,

XXXXXXXXX

Senior Director, Customer Services

Letter 3 response back to AOL

AOL Broadband
XXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXX
LONDON
XXXXXXXXXXX

14th February, 2014

Dear Sirs,

AOL Broadband Account: Mr X

I am writing to acknowledge receipt of your letter, dated 7th February, 2014, and your letter, dated 14th February, 2014 with which a cheque for £801 is attached.

Your letter, dated 7th February was addressed to the Executor of my Estate, but I can give an assurance that I am alive.. Following receipt of this letter, I called Customer Services on 10th February to question why a letter had been addressed to the Executor of the Estate in advance of my demise. A satisfactory answer to my question was not forthcoming and I asked to speak to the receptionist manager, but the manager was not available. I do not understand why i have received a cheque for repayment (apparently dating from 2009, according to the receptionist with whom I spoke), and I can only deduce that this may have been an account held with AOL by my late wife who died in 2009.

I look to you to provide an explanation of why this has occured, and why a cheque has been drawn in my favour. At the time of my telephone call to Customer Services, I asked for confirmation that my account with AOL Broadband (dating back to 2000) would not be disconnected, and I was given an assurance that the extant account will remain uninterrupted and in place. I need an assurance from you that my account will remain alive.

Your prompt response to this letter is requested.

Yours faithfully,

Mr X

Letter 4, again to AOL Broadband

Customer Relations Department,
AOL Broadband,
XXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXX
SOUTHAMPTON
XXXXXXXXXXX

13th May, 2014

Dear Sirs,

AOL Broadband Account: Mr X

I have used AOL since 2000, and I am writing to express my annoyance and frustration with several unsuccessful attempts to resolve problems with my AOL Broadband account. Following receipt of two letters (07/02/14 and 12/2/14) addressed to the Executor of my Estate (the latter enclosing a cheque for £801), my letter (14/2/14 to which a reply has not been received), my telephone calls to customer services (10/2/14 and 8/04/14) I was advised that my account with AOL Broadband was closed in 2009 and that my name is not recognised nor my landline telephone number. I also have recently noted that payments by DD have not been collected of late from my bank account, and to promote action from AOL, the DD was cancelled on 08/04/14 and the cheque for £801 paid into a bank account. As explained in my first call to customer services, I can only assume that the payment by AOL was intended in favour of my late wife's Executor (me) following her death in 2009 and the possibility that my late wife may have had an account with AOL.

Two matters must be dealt with by you; AOL's records amended to indicate that I have not died, and an explanation as to why I still have access to AOL Broadband without paying for this service. The call to customer services on 08/04/14 was to obtain a MAC in order for me to change ISP, but because my details were not recognised and the insistence that my account was closed in 2009, a MAC could not be provided.

I look to you to respond to this matter with immediate effect with a view to resolving my continued use of AOL Broadband or otherwide.

Yours faithfully,

Mr X

Letter 5 Response from AOL Broadband

Mr X
XXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXX

21 May, 2014

Dear Mr X,

Thanks for contacting AOL Broadband about MAC.

I have checked your account details and can confirm that your account has already been disconnected on 31/7/2009, hence why we are unable to generate a MAC Code.

Please note that in your account we don't have any deceased request on your account.

I hope I've given you all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please come back to us or visit www.help.aol.co.uk/help_uk.

Kind regards,

XXXXXXXXXXX

AOL Broadband Member Services

Letter 6 from Mr X in response to Letter 5

TalkTalk Telecom Ltd
XXXXXXXXXXX
SOUTHAMPTON
XXXXXXXXXXX

4th June, 2014

For the Attention of Mr xxxxxxxxxxxx - AOL Broadband Member Services

Dear MR xxxxxxxxxxxx,

Thank you for your letter, dated 21st May, addressing some of my queries raised in my letter dated 13th May. I regret the delay in responding to your comments, but I need to assure that AOL Broadband connection remains on the British Telecom ADSL line serving my landline telephone.

Despite my calls to customer services and the confirmation given in your letter that the AOL account was disconnected on 31/7/2009, but not by me, the AOL Broadband connection remains active. If a MAC cannot be given, I insist that the AOL Broadband connection be removed immediately from the British Telecom connection serving my property.

Please confirm in writing that removal of AOL Broadband from my landline will be dealt with immediately.

Yours sincerely,

Mr X

Letter 7 response from AOL back to Mr X

Mr X
XXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXX

12 June 2014

Dear Mr X,

Thanks for contacting AOL Broadband about MAC.

I can understand how important this is for you. I will be glad to assist you with the required information.

I have checked you account details and can confirm that your AOL broadband account was already disconnected on 31/7/2009. Hence we are unable to generate a MAC.

Your line rental was not with us. You need to contact British Telecom regarding this issue.

I hope I've given etc etc etc

Kind regards,

Another member of the AOL Broadband Memeber Services

After receiving the last letter from AOL Broadband, he has had enough with getting absolutely nowhere with anyone who actually works for AOL.

So the only real option is looking like changing his land line rental to another supplier, just to clear the line ?? it seems a bit drastic just to change broadband supplier because of a cock up through no fault of Mr X.

Any further advice will be greatly received.

Bloke 199

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 03-Jul-14 23:28:23
Print Post

If the voice line rental is with BT then a simple tag removal by gaining isp should fix things and if just broadband will not impact phone number

Just means may need to talk to a sensible gaining isp

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User bloke199
(newbie) Sun 06-Jul-14 20:19:39
Print Post

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the information so far, any clues on sensible gaining ISP's ???

Cheers,

Bloke199
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 07-Jul-14 09:56:09
Print Post

Zen, IDNet, AAISP all smaller more business focused providers who are happy to have phone line with another provider

Standard User bloke199
(newbie) Thu 10-Jul-14 22:35:16
Print Post

Thanks for the list of proper ISP's Andrew, although I see that A&A is a bit on the dearer side !!!!

I'll let me Mr X know what his options are, and if we have any more problems, we'll post back here.

Cheers,

Bloke199
  Print Thread

Jump to