User comments on ISPs
  >> AOL

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User morsekid
(newbie) Sun 31-Jan-16 16:42:59
Print Post

AOL Desktop 9.7

[link to this post]

Hi, Have not posted on these forums for many a year. Can anyone offer any suggestions to my problem other than find another ISP? I am using AOL software Desktop v 9.7, Also using Windows 7 HP.......The AOL browser by default uses Google Chrome version 37, no doubt slightly modified by AOL (TalkTalk) During the past few months, have discovered that I am unable to play some video's from a number of web sites, for example, YouTube music, get a message stating unable to load plugin as browser is out of date, in most cases the plugin is for audio. If I Google 'What Browser Am I Using?" the reply is Google Chrome version 37 but is it out of date, click for latest version.....and as expected it makes no difference...... I emailed this problem to AOL/TalkTalk, they replied that they were aware of this and I should download the latest version of AOL which is Desktop 9.8 UK...This I did, it took about 15-minutes...Results.....Unable to save passwords in my emails, lost all my tool-bar favourites , my main Favourites became a scrambled mess... Most important it hadn't upgraded Google Chrome so the various plugins still wouldn't load, I was able to return to Desktop 9.7 and all my settings by using System Restore! I am able to access these 'plugin required' sites if I use Win. Explorer 11.... Best wishes Mike
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 31-Jan-16 17:11:44
Print Post

Re: AOL Desktop 9.7

[re: morsekid] [link to this post]

Nothing stopping you from downloading and installing Chrome direct from Google

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User morsekid
(newbie) Sun 31-Jan-16 17:41:32
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi MrSaffron, thanks for prompt reply, I believe I did say in my post that I did download Google Chrome direct from Google, I had hoped that it would embed itself inside AOL default browser and hopefully upgrade to the latest version, but his did not happen.I also mentioned that everything works OK using Explorer version 11, and no doubt Firefox would be OK......When I browse using Explorer 11 it states that it is not my default browser, and would I like to make it my default browser, what would happen if I agreed to this? would my AOL home page change in anyway? Cheers Mike

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 31-Jan-16 18:59:57
Print Post

AOL home page would not change, but any links in AOL you clicked would probably open into Internet Explorer 11

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User morsekid
(newbie) Mon 01-Feb-16 11:12:19
Print Post

Hi MrSaffron, thanks again for prompt reply and comments. I will give it a try and make Internet Explorer 11 my default browser. If all goes 'pear-shaped' I can always use System Restore as I did when I tried Desktop 9.8. Will report back within the next couple of days.
Best wishes.....Mike.
Standard User morsekid
(newbie) Tue 02-Feb-16 10:47:52
Print Post

Hi MrSaffron, as promised in my last post, made Internet Explorer my default browser, and as you expected, there were too many links used by Google Chrome and to cut a long story short, went back to the AOL Desktop 9.7 browser (Google Chrome v.37)
Decided to save all my video's that would not load plugins hence no audio into the IE11 Favourites. I believe I am correct in stating that only those who already have AOL software probably Desktop 9.7 can continue to use it......It is no longer available to anyone else!
As TalkTalk is the 'complete' owner of AOL, if anyone decides to make TT their ISP provider it will be seen that AOL is not offered regardless of what package they accept. I am also given to understand that if a existing AOL user who is not using TT for telephone calls etc. decides to take a 'package' from TT, they will no longer have access to AOL software, or the 'original' AOL email client. It therefore follows that TT has no incentive to upgrade the AOL software.......Am I correct in these assumptions? Cheers Mike
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 02-Feb-16 14:09:02
Print Post

TalkTalk does not own the AOL software, that is all part of AOL the US company. TalkTalk just bought AOL Broadband and under the AOL name was allowed to sell broadband that bundled with an AOL email address.

The main TalkTalk brand does not use AOL email

You can retain your AOL email account with any broadband provider, just needs the account downgrading to email only.

The days of custom browsers and walled gardens are long gone.

Standard User morsekid
(newbie) Tue 02-Feb-16 17:13:56
Print Post

Hi MrSaffron, All agreed, except for the email comments, yes, AOL email is available for all to use, but I discovered that there is a difference between the 'original' which came bundled with the old AOL software, and remained the same after a number of upgrades including Desk Top 9.7. This included 'signatures' which enabled the facility for scrolling marquee's, and 'Extras' allowing you to change the background of the paper, and 'Art' another alternative to the background, + add a Smiley.... and a lot more. All agreed that you can retain your email account with any broadband provider, but as stated, the format is different.
I discovered this when I accepted a trial package from TT including telephone, when the trial ended, I reverted back to BT for telephone and AOL. (unless of course if this has changed in the past year?) By the way, I do love sending a scrolling marquee message at the foot of any mail I send, but not every mail..... Kind regards, Mike
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 11-Feb-16 23:33:14
Print Post

Just stop using AOL Desktop, even uninstall it. Use instead IE and any POP3 email client you prefer. There is no need to be walled in your garden these days.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 11-Feb-16 23:36:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
You can retain your AOL email account with any broadband provider, just needs the account downgrading to email only.
Not even that! When you quit AOL BB as your ISP you always retain your AOL email & screenname cuz it's not provided by AOL BB at all but by AOL Inc USA.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
  Print Thread

Jump to