User comments on ISPs
  >> AOL

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User morsekid
(newbie) Sun 07-Aug-16 12:15:40
Print Post

AOL Desktop version 9.8.2

[link to this post]

Hi, does anyone use these boards? last post back in May? it is now August!
Anyway, a few days ago had a 'glitch' with my AOL software Desktop 9.8.2, when clicking on the AOL login, nothing happened, curser just 'quivered' reboot computer and router to no avail, phone call to TalkTalk and AOL did not help. Decided to uninstall and reinstall the software, discovered that although the latest version was described as Desktop 9.8.2 UK but it was very different to my existing version which was dated as 2013.......The welcome voice was American and it just said 'welcome'.... it could not be changed to Jo Lumley 'Welcome to AOL', and there was no wav audio file to change it. The email client was the same, but you couldn't save your chosen format, i.e, font type, size, script colour.... and if you used the 'scrolling marquee' facility in 'signatures' any existing ones were not transferred. 'Favourites were 'messed' up on transfer....etc. It seemed to me that this was an American version, the old UK version no longer exists, and investigations show that it was removed some time during March 2016..... I used system restore and went went back to my old version, and was very lucky to discover that I was able to login without any problems, sure hope it stays that way. On a final, I am annoyed that the AOL Google browser uses an out of date version v41 or something close, new version is 51. Cheers
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 10-Aug-16 00:23:07
Print Post

Re: AOL Desktop version 9.8.2

[re: morsekid] [link to this post]

Does anyone still use AOL?

Ditch it & use standard OS browsers & email clients.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Wed 10-Aug-16 10:50:30
Print Post

AOL is not a supported browser any more. As such you run significant security risks using it.

The reason the forum is empty on AOL is because they're no longer an ISP over here in the UK, being sold to Talktalk.

It is strongly recommended you remove the AOL browser and move over to chrome, Firefox etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Wed 10-Aug-16 11:21:19
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
AOL is not a supported browser any more. As such you run significant security risks using it.

The reason the forum is empty on AOL is because they're no longer an ISP over here in the UK, being sold to Talktalk.

It is strongly recommended you remove the AOL browser and move over to chrome, Firefox etc.
I wouldn't be surprised if it always was a security risk, it was certainly bloat ware
Standard User morsekid
(newbie) Wed 10-Aug-16 16:05:57
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Hi, many thanks for your replies, (ukhardy07, tommy5, XRaySpeX) I agree with your comments, but as TalkTalk still markets AOLbut not the Desktop 9.8.2 UK version! I will press on and try to resolve this problem. I have another computer(Win.7) connected to my router, but not networked. I have no problems in logging into AOLusing this computer,. So the problem is with this computer. Have just discovered that using system restore only works for 1/2 days then once again when clicking on AOL it refuses to open, either via the shortcut or the main AOL logo. Therefore there is nothing wrong with the software as such, (even though not many people use it) So, the problem is with my computer, I suspect a registry glitch, or a corrupt file extension.....Will advise you when (and if) I solve this problem....
Cheers.
PS..Providing of course 'AOL' still appears in the forum listings, Hi....
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 11-Aug-16 04:37:52
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

There's still AOL email, still owned and operated by AOL Inc. Queries may still come into this forum on that.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 11-Aug-16 07:52:58
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I actually still have AOL email. Rarely used but there are a few things such as my bank which to there.
Standard User morsekid
(learned) Thu 11-Aug-16 08:58:37
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Hi, in reply to tomy45 posting in which he states that I should use Firefox or Google Chrome as a browser, (?) AOL Desktop uses Google Chrome as their browser, probably slightly modified, and I have discovered that it is not the latest version, it is v.41 latest version being 50 something.....about a year ago they used Internet Explore....Cheers.
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 11-Aug-16 13:14:40
Print Post

The point that everyone is trying to make to you is that there is no reason to continue using the outdated AOL browser. It will inevitably be 'behind the curve' on updates which, considering that a browser is the target of many attacks, is a risk not worth taking.

These days, there is no need for a custom browser. Choose a mainstream browser - Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari if you are using a Mac, Microsoft Edge if you are using Windows 10, Internet Explorer if you really must - then keep it up to date. Any browser that is ten versions out of date should not be used on the Internet, as it is simply not safe.

AOL is all but dead in the UK. I would be looking to access whatever you can with a mainstream up-to-date browser and, if possible, uninstall the AOL software completely. The fact that you have deliberately rolled back to an older version only increases the likelihood of security flaws. It may well be for good reason that AOL silently upgraded you to a later version.

Bearing in mind the state of AOL UK, I would think it safest to migrate away from AOL e-mail, ideally to mail in a domain you own, otherwise to a major webmail provider such as Google or Microsoft's outlook.com service. You don't want to find yourself in the same position as those Demon customers who have held on to using their demon.co.uk subdomains for e-mail, only to find that Vodafone, who have taken over Demon, are forcing them to pay a subcontractor a monthly fee to continue to use these addresses.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
Standard User morsekid
(learned) Fri 12-Aug-16 14:40:56
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Hi, Many thanks to everyone who has responded to my postings, and thanks to the last posting from David, much appreciated. However it seems that we 'lost the plot' probably my fault for not making my problem clear. Therefore will start again.
When I first switch on my computer I have to enter my password, having done that I am connected to the Internet. On my task bar I have the options to connect to the following browsers. Google Chrome...Firefox...Internet Explorer....All of which are the latest versions, except for AOL, bearing in mind that I mainly use AOL to send emails, because I prefer the layout, and yes, they were subject to a 'scam attack' but as the 'owners' TalkTalk advised me no, sensitive information, like bank accounts were compromised. So as I use the latest and safest browsers, I can see no reason to change my ISP which is of course TalkTalk. Now, the only reason I posted my problem on these boards is that it was possible that someone would have experienced the same problem as me, which started the same day that Widows 10 'free upgrade' offer expired( I use Win.7), and their 'pop up reminder' finally disappeared from my task bar, and at the same time a Windows critical update took place. This was the 1st of August.(This may have just been a coincidence) And as stated, I have to keep using system restore back to the 1st Aug to enable me to log into AOL Desktop 9.8.2, no other restore dates will work, If I create a restore date for today 12th.Aug., when everything is running fine, within 1/2 days once again I am unable to login to AOL, but can access all other browsers, restoring to my date of today does not work, only by using the restore date of the 1st Aug can I access AOL....Wow....very long blurb by me...... However, it would appear that there is no one on this AOL forum boards using AOL Desktop, so I apologise for wasting your time but thanks again for your interesting responses .
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to