User comments on ISPs
  >> AOL

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 12-Aug-16 15:22:24
Print Post

Re: AOL Desktop version 9.8.2

[re: morsekid] [link to this post]

Understand the issue, however in the end, it is not sustainable or advisable to keep doing system restore.

There are plenty of email clients which can manage the email side of things and you can move on nicely.

I understand old habits die hard, but sometimes, it is time for a change - now is that time smile
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 16-Aug-16 18:37:39
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
Understand the issue, however in the end, it is not sustainable or advisable to keep doing system restore.

Indeed. You need to keep moving forward with security updates for the operating system, also the time will come where the restore point in question disappears.

You really only seem to have two options. Either you find an installer for your preferred version of AOL, which you install in a virtual machine that you only use for e-mail, or concede that you have to give in to the latest version of AOL. You can't hang on to an old system forever.

I used to be a huge fan of Demon's Turnpike e-mail system. It got to the "almost brilliant" stage before development got canned with IMAP server implemented and IMAP client under development. I was one of the beta testers.

Demon felt that they could not justify the resources to continue developing Turnpike and the use of commercially licensed components with no obvious replacements lead to the decision that the code base was unsuitable for open sourcing. I persevered with Turnpike some time into the Windows 7 generation, running Turnpike under Windows XP Mode as it wouldn't run on a 64 bit OS and, if I remember correctly, would not run on any OS later than Vista. Eventually, the OS limitations, together with the limitations of the flat file database and the 4GB limit for the mail database proved too much. I moved over to a hosted IMAP solution, using Turnpike's IMAP server to export my existing mail. As I use my own domain for e-mail, it's up to me whether to stick with the existing hosting provider, move to another hosting provider, or run my own mail server.

There comes a point where you have to move on from a comfortable but obsolete solution.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 18-Aug-16 13:28:54
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

There is no reason not to continue using AOL email. You can use it over POP3 from any email client w/out needing AOL desktop.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User morsekid
(learned) Fri 19-Aug-16 07:42:55
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Hi XRaySpecX....thanks for that info, in fact I have tried the 'stand alone' version of AOL email, but I much prefer the AOL Desktop email client, I enjoy the many extras such as the scrolling marquee facility in 'signatures'.....But thanks for taking the trouble to advise me of this possibility.....By the way, I downloaded the TalkTalk/AOL latest version of Desktop 9.8.2 which is almost identical to the original except that it has an american voice for greeting and emails, about 2-days later I received a pop up from AOL stating that an update was available, there was no way to cancel it, it took over 1/2 hour to download, I then had to re-install screen names, etc., and toolbar favourites, and to my amazement I am now back with the original 9.8.2 software complete with Joanna Lumley voice.... This the 3rd day that I have been able to login, what other ISP gives you all this excitement lol....
Standard User 23Prince
(newbie) Fri 02-Sep-16 13:33:29
Print Post

Gees I miss AOL it was the best time of my online life. Shame it had to go the way it did frown

Honestly, It was awesome.
Standard User morsekid
(learned) Fri 02-Sep-16 16:09:06
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

Hi 23Prince....Well, I am still enjoying it......didn't think it would last after all my recent problems, but so far so good.....
Standard User 23Prince
(learned) Sat 03-Sep-16 14:47:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by morsekid:
Hi 23Prince....Well, I am still enjoying it......didn't think it would last after all my recent problems, but so far so good.....

You are enjoying the desktop but it's not the desktop I used to know - 90% of it has gone.
Standard User morsekid
(learned) Sun 04-Sep-16 10:53:52
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

I used to have Compuserve as my ISP until it was taken over by AOL, and have been using all the versions up to and including Desktop 9.8.2 which in my opinion is the best version, it has all 'the bells and whistles' and as you may be aware it is no longer available to new users via TalkTalk.... So what was the version of AOL you refer to have that the latest version doesn't have?
Standard User 23Prince
(learned) Sun 04-Sep-16 12:52:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by morsekid:
I used to have Compuserve as my ISP until it was taken over by AOL, and have been using all the versions up to and including Desktop 9.8.2 which in my opinion is the best version, it has all 'the bells and whistles' and as you may be aware it is no longer available to new users via TalkTalk.... So what was the version of AOL you refer to have that the latest version doesn't have?

I remember Compuserve, They were based in Bristol and I spent a week there when I was training to be a volunteer.

I was referring to AOL as it used to be, 0845 dialup days were the best, Then the kids jumped on when we tested and launched 0800 - and then ADSL came along. Because of 2 douchebags who whinged they were not being paid to volunteer out of not needing the hassle anymore the volunteer program was shut down - the chat rooms became unmonitored and after an event in the Kids rooms between a 9yr old and a nasty adult shall we say all the chat rooms were shut down.

The AOL I remember was al chatting to people online and then meeting up at Hotels and venues for massive booze fuelled partys. Oh those were my 20's sorted smile

Going back to the software. I only used it when I had to, any other time I just connected without it and used whatever browser was best at the time.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to