User comments on ISPs
  >> AOL

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User morsekid
(learned) Tue 12-Dec-17 16:28:59
Print Post

Final Days For AOl Software

[link to this post]

Hi, As I was the last person to post, I thought I would post this update for those who are not aware of the latest position. AOL have been taken over by OATH a multi-national who have also taken over Yahoo. AOL AIM...Instant messenger ceases on Dec.15th. AOL software all versions, including the latest Desktop version 9.8.2 will be withdrawn approx.January 10th 2018.....AOL as a company will continue, and email address's will remain.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
Mike
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 12-Dec-17 17:15:40
Print Post

Re: Final Days For AOl Software

[re: morsekid] [link to this post]

That's a shame - such amazing days on AOL someone needs to bring it back to what it was!
Standard User launcelot
(learned) Wed 13-Dec-17 22:17:12
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

I'm not surprised this has happened. The client has been around for years (I was an early user) and still looks a bit clunky, although it does provide a convenient store for old emails.
I cannot quite visualize what will actually happen after the deadline. Will I log on but simply not get any new emails or will it cease functioning at all in which case what is the best recourse for keeping old emails? I did download some software that claimed to read the global.org file but I'm not sure I can find it now.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User morsekid
(learned) Thu 14-Dec-17 10:39:20
Print Post

[re: launcelot] [link to this post]

I did reply to this post, but it doesn't seem to have appeared? I did send email, and also posted...OK, will send again. First, It would appear that you must be an AOL user ie, TalkTalk/Oath. AOL software will be discontinued as from 13th January 2018. No doubt that is one of the reasons they didn't update their browser which is way out of date and a security risk. To access email, contacts, type into your browser mail.aol.co.uk and log in.
Mike (morsekid)
Standard User launcelot
(learned) Fri 15-Dec-17 15:45:30
Print Post

Thanks for the reply, Mike
I was with talktalk until recently. I should have made it clear that I am concerned about messages stored on 'my pc'.

There is a product called PFC viewer (systools) which seems to work, but the free version doesn't allow export of messages. However, for my purposes viewing should be enough.

I do wonder how many client users there are now.

Geoff
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 17-Dec-17 03:56:31
Print Post

[re: launcelot] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by launcelot:
what is the best recourse for keeping old emails?
Get an email client, like Outlook or Thunderbird, on your PC and d/load all your emails to it.

Settings as here: https://help.aol.co.uk/articles/how-do-i-use-other-e... .

However, I read OP as that AOL email will continue.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Sun 17-Dec-17 04:01:06)

Standard User morsekid
(learned) Sun 17-Dec-17 15:49:01
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Although AOL software be discontinued approx.Jan.24th 2018. AOL Mail with all contact details for AOL registered users. Not to be confused with AOL Mail.
AOL users received notification of this and was given a link to insert in theirr browser of choice, once activated you can use AOL mail straight away direct from your browser. I believe you can use AOL mail in a number of browsers at the same time. I decided to use FireFox and have already sent and received a number of emails. For those that remember the 'good old days' of AOL, I noticed that the scrolling marquee facility in 'signatures' no longer exists, other than that it remains the same, in fact Oath new owners of AOL state there will be other improvements??
Cheers
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 17-Dec-17 16:17:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by morsekid:
Not to be confused with AOL Mail.
Eh? AOL Mail isn't AOL Mail?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 17-Dec-17 19:51:15
Print Post

Only one which is https://mail.aol.co.uk/ or https://mail.aol.com

I think he is confused.

I just tried to sign up but they don't seem to want to accept any UK postcode - so stuffed really

Edited by 23Prince (Sun 17-Dec-17 19:55:42)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 18-Dec-17 00:39:29
Print Post

They're the UK & US frontends to the same AOL Webmail. There's only 1 AOL Webmail server & it's in US.

UK Postcodes are only acceptable coming from the UK site.

Edited by XRaySpeX (Mon 18-Dec-17 00:46:55)

Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 18-Dec-17 21:24:59
Print Post

Problem being all URl's now go to screename.aol.com so won't take a post/zip code
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Dec-17 22:26:39
Print Post

You appear to be doing something wrong. I had no problem in setting up a (new) AOL UK email account complete with UK postcode using the url https://mail.aol.co.uk/ .
Standard User morsekid
(learned) Tue 19-Dec-17 10:05:47
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

Hi, probably got the' wrong end of the stick' regarding AOL Mail. To clarify there are currently 2 types of AOL mail. Recently, due to AOL software being discontinued AOL Mail for existing AOL user's who can now transfer their old email client together with all the contact address;s, saved mail on AOL or Computer, etc to a browser of their choice. Guess there are not many AOL user's left, but I am one of them.
The other AOL Mail has been around for some time (I have never used it for obvious reasons) this competes with the like of Gmail,Outlook, Hotmail.
Cheers
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Tue 19-Dec-17 21:48:34
Print Post

Really?

Looks fine here: AOL UK Signup

Postcode

Mobile Phone defaults to a GB Flag and +44 for the dialling code.

smile

CJT.

On NOW TV Broadband up to 38 Mbps
Standard User CJT
(experienced) Tue 19-Dec-17 21:55:43
Print Post

For more info I'd suggest anyone reads AOL UK Help - e-mail

Explains it in more detail

CJT.

On NOW TV Broadband up to 38 Mbps