User comments on ISPs
  >> AOL

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User morsekid
(learned) Sat 22-Sep-18 16:37:44
Print Post

New AOL Oath Desktop Software.

[link to this post]

Hi, As promised since my last posting 30th.Jan.2018. Have now been using the new AOL (desktop) software for about 9-months. The email client has not caused any problems and am able to used my old email address, As previously stated, the new owners for AOL are Oath, although I still pay TalkTalk £18 a month for broadband access. My speed is 10+Mbps which is adequate for my needs, and the speed is reliable at any time of day & night. During the 'good old days' of AOL a large number of members used Yuko AOL forums which covered computer hints and tips, domestic appliances, and loads of other topics, however since the old AOL desktop shut down there are only a couple of us still active. I am of the opinion that when the old AOL shut down not many took up the offer from Oath to keep all their email contacts and existing screen names, which was time limited and is no longer available although the old AOL software may still be available, probably the US version. I use Firefox for my browser, and transferred all my favorites from the old AOL desktop browser to Firefox. Judging by ThinkBroadband forums, I wonder if anyone out there are using the new AOl (Oath) desktop software?
Best wishes
Standard User Adrianuk
(learned) Sun 23-Sep-18 01:27:30
Print Post

Re: New AOL Oath Desktop Software.

[re: morsekid] [link to this post]

I'm not sure why anybody would want this?
Standard User morsekid
(learned) Sun 23-Sep-18 14:07:30
Print Post

[re: Adrianuk] [link to this post]

Hi Adrianuk, Just a re-cap, the now defunct AOL Desktop version 9. 8 . 2 was once the leading ISP, the layout and ease of use was a world leader. It also had its own browser which fluctuated between IE & Google Chrome especially adapted for AOL, no other ISP in the world had its own browser. AOL ensured that their browser's were kept up to date. However, as the years went by, the AOL software began to 'creak at the seams' and the browser was not updated, in fact it was about 3-years out of date and many web sites such as Facebook, YouTube, Amazon, warned those AOL user's logging into their web sites that the browser they were using posed a security risk and urged them to either update or use

another browser. Some web sites would not allow entry.....AOL (TT) took no action, and as was expected AOL members left in their droves. It was suggested that this is what TT wanted who inherited this software when they took over AOL, and when Oath took over AOL this seemed to confirm it. Just to confirm, the new Oath AOL software is bang up to date, but as far as I am aware, that if existing AOL Desktop user's did not accept the offer to transfer into the Oath version of AOL and keep their email addresses and contacts etc., they would lose this opportunity as soon as the cut-off took place. What I had hoped to learn from this forum is are there any people out their who joined AOL Oath, and if so, why haven't they posted on these forums?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User robertcrowther
(committed) Sun 23-Sep-18 14:14:31
Print Post

Most people on the internet these days have moved on from the 90's or not old enough to remember the AOL desktop software, that's probably the simple answer to your question.
Standard User morsekid
(learned) Mon 24-Sep-18 17:14:11
Print Post

[re: robertcrowther] [link to this post]

Hi 'robertcrowther' Thanks for taking the trouble to post your comments in reply to my posting. I have been looking ar the AOL forums (UK) and judging by numerous comments all appears to be OK with AOL software until 2007, Remember when AOL introduced 'scrolling marquee' facility in emails under signatures which enabled a message to be sent which scrolled along the bottom of the email page...Also the carousel feature in the home page? This was state of the art stuff, no other ISP offered so much content. It was towards the end of 2007 that problems started to appear, e.g. slow internet speeds, poor customer service, and gradually it went downhill. ]Having done some research I cannot find any real problems with AOL during the 90's compared with all other ISP's. AOL Desktop software was a recent (and last) addition starting c2015.
Thanks again for your input
much appreciated.
(committed) Mon 24-Sep-18 20:44:00
Print Post

You say that you could not find any problems during the 90's, well that's when AOL got it's nick name AOHELL and it didn't get that for being no problems.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 24-Sep-18 21:12:20
Print Post

This is a bizarre thread, the OP appears to be saying ‘well it was all good 11 years ago’ shocked

Standard User morsekid
(learned) Tue 25-Sep-18 10:11:57
Print Post

Thanks for the memory of AOHell, yes I remember that saying, but it started in the US. 1900's. AOL did not start in the UK until 2006 when Car Phone Warehouse bought out the rights for AOL UK (AIM) CompuServe ceased trading and existing user's were offered to transfer to AOL. It was then given the nickname of Always Over Loaded.
Standard User jdigz7
(member) Tue 25-Sep-18 11:56:45
Print Post

In reply to a post by morsekid:
Thanks for the memory of AOHell, yes I remember that saying, but it started in the US. 1900's. AOL did not start in the UK until 2006 when Car Phone Warehouse bought out the rights for AOL UK (AIM) CompuServe ceased trading and existing user's were offered to transfer to AOL. It was then given the nickname of Always Over Loaded.

I remember AOL dial-up being around long before 2006 we''re talking pre 2003 here.
(committed) Tue 25-Sep-18 12:57:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by morsekid:

AOL started in the UK way before 2006, in fact I still have a floppy disk with the AOL software somewhere. You use to get free floppy disks with computer magazines with the AOL software on it back in the 90's and then later on with CD's.

I believe that you are getting mixed up because in 2006 when Carphone wharehouse took over the operations in the UK it changed it's name and became AOL Broadband, but AOL in the UK had a long history of dialup way before broadband was a thing in this country.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to