User comments on ISPs
  >> AOL

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User morsekid
(learned) Wed 31-Oct-18 10:53:07
Print Post

The Real Final Of AOL!

[link to this post]

Hi, Am feeling very stupid and guilty, all my previous posts relating to AOL and Oath mail etc., are in the main completely wrong! I will try and explain, for many years my ISP has been AOL, some years ago TalkTalk bought out AOL and also AOL Desktop which was a combined browser,email etc. I believe that TT never wanted 'Desktop' and Oath bought it out earlier this year, they advised all existing customers that they could continue to use AOL mail, and retain all their email contacts and of course keep their AOL email address but they need to use a different browser. The old Desktop browser used a very old version of Chrome. Oath gave existing customers 30-days to accept this offer. I accepted their offer so my email address remained the same.......@aol.com. AOL & TT had unbundled (LLU) in my local telephone exchange. A few days ago I lost my internet connection and had to phone my ISP then the truth dawned on me, my ISP was TT and always had been, they tested my BT line and asked me what router I was using, I said it was an AOL D-Link DSL 2680 router. They sent me a TalkTalk D-Link DSL 3782 router which arrived next day, easy set-up and am back on line. I checked my local BT exchange and noted that the AOL router had been removed, this may have been the reason why I lost my internet connection. (?) The punch line now is that AOL ceased being an ISP years ago, and there is no reason for it being listed in these forums except for historic purposes.
Standard User j0hn83
(experienced) Sat 03-Nov-18 20:34:17
Print Post

Re: The Real Final Of AOL!

[re: morsekid] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by morsekid:
A few days ago I lost my internet connection and had to phone my ISP then the truth dawned on me, my ISP was TT and always had been, they tested my BT line and asked me what router I was using, I said it was an AOL D-Link DSL 2680 router. They sent me a TalkTalk D-Link DSL 3782 router which arrived next day, easy set-up and am back on line. I checked my local BT exchange and noted that the AOL router had been removed, this may have been the reason why I lost my internet connection. (?) The punch line now is that AOL ceased being an ISP years ago, and there is no reason for it being listed in these forums except for historic purposes.

really? how could you not know your ISP changed years ago?
I don't know anyone who thought AOL was still operating as an ISP.

There are a number of ISP's listed on these forums that have ceased trading/merged/other.

I'm confused by....

I checked my local BT exchange and noted that the AOL router had been removed, this may have been the reason why I lost my internet connection. (?)

What do you mean by the AOL router has been removed? Talktalk took ownership of all of AOL's infrastructure.

Your old AOL modem probably just died.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 04-Nov-18 01:58:51
Print Post

AOL has been gone for years in the UK.

Carphone Warehouse used to own TalkTalk and in 2006 Carphone Warehouse purchased AOL in the UK... Subsequently TalkTalk/AOL and Carphone Warehouse de-merged, and AOL was swallowed into the TalkTalk side of things entirely. The TalkTalk group tried to simplify AOL packages in around 2010 and kept advertising AOL Broadband, but in 2014 decided to drop the AOL brand entirely.

So realistically the last time AOL was really AOL in the UK was pre-2006.

Anyway, nothing wrong generally with TalkTalk.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User morsekid
(learned) Sun 04-Nov-18 09:45:50
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Hi, A few weeks ago I checked my local BT exchange (Sam Knows) and AOL & TalkTalk were shown as unbundled in this exchange, when I had problems with my new AOL router )old but never used) I again checked my BT exchange and the AOL unbundled was no longer listed! I mentioned this to TT technical manager and he said the cause of my lost speed could well be the reason as these routers were linked.
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Sun 04-Nov-18 09:56:14
Print Post

This just means that Samknows have removed the listing for AOL.

The removal of this from Samknows does not directly relate to any work happening at the exchange. Samknows has contained out of date information for many years and will just be them cleaning up their records.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0333 773 7700
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 04-Nov-18 11:19:18
Print Post

Yep as others have said this info is outdated. You have been using talktalk equipment for a long time and this has not changed in the exchange recently.
Standard User burble
(member) Sun 04-Nov-18 11:58:28
Print Post

[re: j0hn83] [link to this post]

AFAIK AOL ran on a version of Netscape, but for many years you could use any browser you wanted, someone I know had AOL and used Chrome for many years.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 05-Nov-18 04:50:22
Print Post

All that is left of AOL is AOL Mail & has been for years. Never absorbed into TT. You can still sign up for it.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Mon 05-Nov-18 04:52:28)

Standard User KelvinBridge
(regular) Mon 05-Nov-18 19:44:35
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

That link to aol worked for me, I can still open aol mail read it , and reply , and use it as a sign-on name for''other sites '. I'm unsure why Oath keeps aol alive ,unless it's for commercial reasons to show adverts , that I might respond to .?
...in the UK ,
what happens elsewhere [America] I've no idea ?
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 05-Nov-18 22:18:37
Print Post

[re: KelvinBridge] [link to this post]

AFAIK, Oath is owned by Verizon, with time I would expect everything AOL to fall into the Verizon media group. Time will tell to what extent Verizon keep the brand.
  Print Thread

Jump to