Technical Discussion
  >> Audio and Music Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User MarkHampshire
(member) Sat 03-Jul-10 16:40:23
Print Post

Managing music files

[link to this post]

I have thousands of WMA and MP3 files plus some more recent bits I've bought from iTunes. How do people go about managing all of this?

I prefer the Windows Media Player interface - iTunes is a bit slow and bloatware like and if I add all the files into that it seems to want to spend a few days converting them all - plus I can't sync from iTunes into my smartphone, but I can sync playlists in Media Player, so that's the thing to use I think (my iPod shuffle died a death a while back but iTunes files are only a fraction of my library anyway)

What puzzles me is that my smartphone plays all the iTunes stuff without problems, but what I've ended up doing is having one folder set for iTunes and one for everything else. To sync iTunes files I have to go into the file system and drag and drop the files to the phone manually.

On our Windows 7 laptop iTunes files actually open in Media Centre by default if you double click on them, but on my Vista machine WMP doesn't even recognise them.

Is it at all possible to bring the iTunes files into Media Player and use that as the single interface?

Finally some really rare stuff is on YouTube which I can download via Real Player. I have a feeling that the Nero software I have might be capable of converting those files into audio files for WMP, or I guess I could buy the pay for version of Real Player.

Is there an easier way of doing all of this?

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User longedge
(member) Sat 03-Jul-10 20:52:51
Print Post

Re: Managing music files

[re: MarkHampshire] [link to this post]

I have an IRiver H340. I just have my own folder structure duplicated on two separate external HD's and drag and drop stuff to the IRiver when I fancy a change. There's a mix of MP3's & WMA's that I can also play easily on my computer or wherever *I* like.

I bought my wife an IPOD Nano a while ago and I just cannot believe the hoops you have to jump through and the limitations that exist with it. It's totally beyond me how on earth they have become so popular. Yes the sound quality is good and it has a nice control interface but the restrictions are just incredible.

I wouldn't say no if someone wanted to give me one - but first thing I'd do is put Rockbox on it ;^)

Edited by longedge (Sat 03-Jul-10 21:03:06)

Standard User MarkHampshire
(member) Sun 04-Jul-10 19:44:17
Print Post

[re: longedge] [link to this post]

Cheers - I think I'll probably do as you do smile

My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User longedge
(member) Mon 05-Jul-10 09:43:10
Print Post

I was half expecting to get 'toasted' but it seems nobody is going to leap to the defence of iTunes 8^)

Edited by longedge (Mon 05-Jul-10 09:43:40)

Standard User homi
(newbie) Tue 15-Feb-11 01:53:55
Print Post

Re: Managing music files *DELETED*

Post deleted by Sadoldman
Standard User CJT
(committed) Sun 06-Mar-11 11:47:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by longedge:
I was half expecting to get 'toasted' but it seems nobody is going to leap to the defence of iTunes 8^)

I have an IRiver H320 (the model under your's) one of the best MP3's I have come accross. Sadly it needs to be replaced soon.

I would NEVER buy an Apple iPod.

CJT.

tongue

ON BT Total Broadband .

My Broadband Speed Test

[IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/986285088.png[/IMG]
Standard User longedge
(member) Sun 06-Mar-11 21:29:21
Print Post

[re: CJT] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by CJT:
I have an IRiver H320 (the model under your's) one of the best MP3's I have come accross. Sadly it needs to be replaced soon.

I would NEVER buy an Apple iPod.

The H340 is still going strong in spite of being regularly dropped! It's had a couple of new batteries but apart from that it still sounds as good as ever. Recordings are brilliant as well as long as I use an external microphone.

Had a recent irrecoverable catastrophe with the laptop that my wife's nano was sync'd with. I cannot believe the probs I've had transferring stuff before re-synching to my new laptop. I had to laugh when I saw that ITunes allows you to share a library between your comuters/devices but only if you create an account and give them your credit card details. I'll be creating an ITunes account the day after I've poked my eyes out with a rusty spoon!
Standard User CJT
(committed) Fri 25-Mar-11 22:01:47
Print Post

I would never use Apple

In regards to the battery can they be replaced?

I was under the impression they couldn't

CJT.

tongue

ON BT Total Broadband .

My Broadband Speed Test

[IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/986285088.png[/IMG]
Standard User longedge
(member) Sun 27-Mar-11 21:33:26
Print Post

[re: CJT] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by CJT:
In regards to the battery can they be replaced?

I was under the impression they couldn't

Yes if you're not happy opening it up and doing a small amout of dismantling then it's probably best to get it done by someone who is. Only thing you have to watch is the polarity (it has to be swapped sometimes). Have a search through the forum at http://www.misticriver.com/iriver-h3xx-series-h320-h... and you'll find lots of info about the subject.

I bought my last battery from Maplins but there are lots of suitable replacements around.

Edited by longedge (Sun 27-Mar-11 21:35:44)

Print Thread

Jump to