Technical Discussion
  >> Audio and Music Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User G3UZF
(member) Sat 20-Nov-10 13:01:06
Print Post

WMA to MP3 Conversion

[link to this post]

Does anyone know of a decent piece of software, simple and preferably free, that can achieve this conversion?

I've tried around a half-dozen so far and they either don't work, are supposedly free (and then you find you have to pay for them) or they are 'fronts' for Viruses and RootKits.

Allergy Advice: This post may contain traces of Meerkats.
Standard User GrumpyOne
(member) Sat 20-Nov-10 13:40:24
Print Post

Re: WMA to MP3 Conversion

[re: G3UZF] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by G3UZF:
Does anyone know of a decent piece of software, simple and preferably free, that can achieve this conversion?

I've tried around a half-dozen so far and they either don't work, are supposedly free (and then you find you have to pay for them) or they are 'fronts' for Viruses and RootKits.

The one I use and works is Efficient WMA MP3 Converter which is free from here:
Efficient WMA-MP3 Converter

I regularly convert all types of audio and video formats, got half a dozen or so converters but for what you want, this one should do the job.

Standard User G3UZF
(member) Sat 20-Nov-10 13:42:41
Print Post

[re: GrumpyOne] [link to this post]

Thanks, I'll check it out now...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User G3UZF
(member) Sat 20-Nov-10 14:50:40
Print Post

Tried Efficient WMA MP3 Conv as you suggested.

Get the same problem as with the other converters- 'E-WMA-MP3-Converter.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close'.

And then.

'We are sorry for the inconvenience.Windows has encountered a problem, tell Microsoft...'

Any clues??

Standard User tommy45
(experienced) Sat 20-Nov-10 16:54:15
Print Post

I used to use this prog:AceHigh audio converter it worked on xp/vista

Standard User GrumpyOne
(member) Sat 20-Nov-10 18:09:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by G3UZF:
Tried Efficient WMA MP3 Conv as you suggested.

Get the same problem as with the other converters- 'E-WMA-MP3-Converter.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close'.
And then.
'We are sorry for the inconvenience.Windows has encountered a problem, tell Microsoft...'
Any clues??

There could be any number of reasons, it may be a problem with the operating system or something like corrupted codec/s. What version Windows are we talking here?

My first suggestion is to run Codec Sniper, Google for this, it doesn't need installing, just run it and see if there are problems with codecs.

Next, are you running anything like Nero? What version Media Player do you have installed? Both these can cause audio/video problems.
HTH's

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 20-Nov-10 19:49:53
Print Post

I tend to use LameXP, which can handle most inputs (including FLAC. ogg, Monkey, DTS and AC-3).
It's only shortcoming is it can't rip audio CDs (but there are plently of free tools which do that anyway).

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

DG834GT with DGTeam firmware
Standard User JohnG1988
(newbie) Sat 20-Nov-10 20:37:02
Print Post

I use Free-Audio-Converter converts different audio file formats, including mp3, wav, m4a, aac, wma, ogg, flac, ape.
http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/products/dvd/Free-Audio-...
Standard User G3UZF
(member) Sun 21-Nov-10 10:20:36
Print Post

Thanks to all for the help and advice.

Ran the Codec Sniper and loaded Codecs (even though I think I was up to date with everything I needed). No change to the locking up problem.

Running XP SP3 with all the patches and WMP 11.

'E-WMA-MP3-Converter' finds the .wma file and attempts to convert to mp3, creates an mp3 file name but then hangs after 2 seconds with the mp3 file having 0 Bytes in it. It's not that particular wma file that fails, they all do it.

Can only recover with Task Manager.

I suppose I could try Real Player to check the wma file will play with that, but I really don't want Real Player anywhere my PC!

Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Mon 06-Dec-10 10:36:33
Print Post

I use dBPowerAmp. It converts just about any audio format to any other and it's simple to use. It seems that the free version is now pretty limited but there is a time limited fully functional demo available.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to