Technical Discussion
  >> Audio and Music Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Littleseen
(newbie) Tue 14-Jun-11 10:04:52
Print Post

Recording from web

[link to this post]

Obvious to you guyz, not to me, am pretty thick. I want to record (and save to hd) sound-stuff from the web, not breaching copyright of course.

Consider YouTube, I can listen (& watch) a diesel rwy engine starting up. I am impressed by http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JpQivta6MQ

I do have Creative's Audio Stream Recorder since I have Audigy2 soundcard in my pc but its help section is beyond me. Is there any other way of grabbing streamed sound (is that correct term?) --- when I can get it emerging from my spkrs surely I can grab it somehow? Thanx for all help, keep it simple plz guyz

Obscurity is a comfortable cloak
Standard User longedge
(member) Tue 14-Jun-11 10:17:48
Print Post

Re: Recording from web

[re: Littleseen] [link to this post]

The problem that everyone trying to implement drm faces - what you hear/see you can record :^). Try looking at Control Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices/Audio/Recording/Default devices where you can specify the source for your recordings.
Standard User Littleseen
(newbie) Tue 14-Jun-11 16:51:44
Print Post

[re: longedge] [link to this post]

I can squirt http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv_cGG56QA4 thru my spkrs & listen to the noisy rwy sound. I can position a battery-powered good-qlty mc close to a spkr & plug the mc's lead into my tape recorder & press record and so have the sound on audio tape.

I can then play the sound back & also I can transfer it to my pc. My pc will also save the resulting recording. Job done? Well yes --- but how tedious. Is there not a better way?

Whilst this will produce a recording of any digitally protected sound that you can put on yr spkrs I am not trying to beat DRM though obviously this does so. I am simply trying to store non-copyright sounds on my pc to listen to later. Help sought plz

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 14-Jun-11 17:06:07
Print Post

Can you not just download the video from you tube? i'm fairly sure you can with the right browser add-on's

Standard User pokchop1st
(newbie) Tue 14-Jun-11 17:24:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by Littleseen:
Obvious to you guyz, not to me, am pretty thick. I want to record (and save to hd) sound-stuff from the web, not breaching copyright of course.

Consider YouTube, I can listen (& watch) a diesel rwy engine starting up. I am impressed by http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JpQivta6MQ

I do have Creative's Audio Stream Recorder since I have Audigy2 soundcard in my pc but its help section is beyond me. Is there any other way of grabbing streamed sound (is that correct term?) --- when I can get it emerging from my spkrs surely I can grab it somehow? Thanx for all help, keep it simple plz guyz

Try this http://download.chip.eu/en/Debut-Video-Capture-Softw...
I've used it and it's freeware,it records everything on your screen.
Standard User longedge
(member) Wed 15-Jun-11 11:30:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by Littleseen:
I can squirt http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv_cGG56QA4 thru my spkrs & listen to the noisy rwy sound. I can position a battery-powered good-qlty mc close to a spkr & plug the mc's lead into my tape recorder & press record and so have the sound on audio tape.

I can then play the sound back & also I can transfer it to my pc. My pc will also save the resulting recording. Job done? Well yes --- but how tedious. Is there not a better way?

I was thinking more along the lines of - The sound recorder that is part of Windows (Start/All Programs/Accesories/Entertainment/Sound Recorder) or one of the hundreds of free sound recorders such as Audacity (one of the best freebies).With most sound cards (I don't think there are many asynchronous nowadays) you can record what you hear.

Not a 100% solution as it can be prevented at a system level but a good starting point.

p.s. What I would do is download the video using Firefox with video downloader add-on and then extract the audio with Adobe Audition.

Edited by longedge (Wed 15-Jun-11 11:41:21)

Standard User Littleseen
(newbie) Thu 16-Jun-11 10:17:37
Print Post

Have solved the prob. Plug my desktop XP cheapo dynamic mic into my Audigy2 soundcard. Open sound editor, click on new, get ready to hover mouse over red record button. Open browser, locate sound clip to be recorded, be ready to start it playing. (Ignore need for extra mouse!)

Gather witz.

Start recording going, start browser's sound-clip playing, juggle empty coffeecup with third hand.....

Stop all at end of job & save recording. Later can normalise, adjust volume, top&tail unwanted stuff. Job done. Curse dreadful dynamic mic as it truncates start of new sound following a silence, what would improve?

Print Thread

Jump to