Technical Discussion
  >> Audio and Music Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Littleseen
(newbie) Thu 30-Jun-11 10:22:42
Print Post

pre-amp for mic

[link to this post]

Being age 82 not understanding how I wire in the following pre-amplifier

http://www.maplin.co.uk/low-noise-stereo-preamp-kit-...

I have an XP tower pc with Creative Audigy-2 soundcard but the dynamic mic clips the start of a fresh word after a silence. I do however have an excellent omini-directional mic that I jack into my taperecorder &, thanks to its in-line single AA drybattery, it has plenty of oomph. Result on audiotape is mega-good. The mic will pick up all sounds in a room if hung from the central lightfitting.

It does not work on my pc. It simply lacks muscle when I jack it into the soundcard's mic skt. Seemingkly I need amplification. Above vendor agrees, has read similar info above, recommends his above pre-amp. But how do I "wire" it into my pc? Where does it get its low-voltage DC from? Help plz!

Obscurity is a comfortable cloak
Standard User longedge
(member) Thu 30-Jun-11 11:38:27
Print Post

Re: pre-amp for mic

[re: Littleseen] [link to this post]

Have you checked the system mixer settings. You may find an option in the mic advanced settings to boost the mic input which might solve your problem.

I don't understand why you should lose part of your recording. After setting levels (I never using automatic level control) I start recording a few seconds before I actually want and continue a few seconds after the end then sort the extraneous bits out in subsequent processing.
Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 04-Jul-11 01:19:01
Print Post

Computer mic lines are powered. They shouldn't have built in amplification of any kind.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User alwall
(member) Mon 04-Jul-11 08:53:21
Print Post

1. I agree with the first part of longedge's reply, that there may be a mic boost "tick box" hidden somewhere in your audio settings. Some systems I've encountered have both the Windows Mixer and Creative's mixer installed.
Have you checked the mic input levels in the recording properties of the audio mixer?

2. Having looked at the Maplin datasheet, if you still need to use the preamp a 9v battery will be suitable for testing. Wouldn't it be worth looking at a fully built preamp rather than a kit?

3. It might be that the soundcard agc is battling to increase the signal! Dynamic mics typically have an output around 1.5mv, much less than a capacitor mic.

4. Suitable preamps for electret mics have mic powering built in, you may need to disconnect this on the pcb if your omni mic is self powered.

5. Have you tried Creative's tech support or forums?

BTBroadband
Standard User Littleseen
(newbie) Thu 07-Jul-11 10:47:31
Print Post

Alternative to pre-amp for mic

Thanx chapz for help. I could buy a £19 USB-2 mic but it is uni-directional Maplin tell me.

It has been suggested I use the pre-amp system of my tape recorder! It seems I fire up the single AA battery in my omni-directional mic and jack same into tape recorder mic-in then I jack the headphone skt to the mic-in of the sound card. Lastly I start the tape-recorder recording (though without a tape in it). This is either b.... dangerous or will work. To record, I open the sound card's editor & click on the record button in the usual way.

Before I commence frying-tonight, complete with blue smoke & an incinerated sound card, will this work? I am uneasy.

Edited by Littleseen (Thu 07-Jul-11 10:49:26)

Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 07-Jul-11 11:46:14
Print Post

Re: Alternative to pre-amp for mic

If you're going to use the tape deck as an intermediate, you'd be better off plugging the headphone out into he line-in of the sound card. Sound card mic-ins are powered and amplified, you'll likely blow something if you jack in headphone out. Even the line-in isn't quite correct, as the headphone out expect 8 ohm, while the line-in is 1 kilo-ohm, but it's better the mic-in.
Standard User Littleseen
(newbie) Thu 07-Jul-11 15:21:01
Print Post

[re: 12eason] [link to this post]

er?

Standard User alwall
(member) Fri 08-Jul-11 13:28:02
Print Post