Technical Discussion
  >> Audio and Music Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User WestUK
(newbie) Sun 25-Sep-11 22:14:41
Print Post

Vynly to MP3 Conversion

[link to this post]

After a lot of dithering I am going ahead and going to put my vynl on MP3 and my computer.

I have boaught an ION deck to do this and it comes with its own software.

Like life some people love it others hate it.

Does any one have any experience in this field and any reccomendations.

Many Thanks

John
Standard User meldrew
(experienced) Mon 26-Sep-11 17:03:48
Print Post

Re: Vynly to MP3 Conversion

[re: WestUK] [link to this post]

However hard I clean a LP and whatever software I use it still sounds like a vinyl recording!

I have taken to re buying most of my LP collection with cheap or second hand CDs as the time factor is more than I can be bothered with!

In a worst case scenario I download the MP3 itself......

Sorry not to be enthusiastic. I just wish the process worked better!

Meldrew
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 26-Sep-11 22:56:24
Print Post

I use Sound Forge - it's the nads (although I'm running an old version). Meldrew is right, though. If you have a small vinyl collection, you might as well replace it with CDs but if your collection is large, it's going to take forever.

Also, no matter how good a packages noise-reduction software is, it's not going to eliminate all the pops and crackles on a vinyl disc. This is true of Sound Forge as much as any other software package.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"You'll be skint, battered, exploited, lied to, cheated and despised. But at least you'll no' be bored." -- Rab C Nesbitt
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts

Edited by micksharpe (Mon 26-Sep-11 22:58:58)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User longedge
(member) Tue 27-Sep-11 07:31:16
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

Just for interest I have in the past 'cleaned' an already good conversion that had been processed to de-cick it. I use Adobe Audition and working almost at bit level you can do it. Set aside a week or so per track though (in other words I also agree with the other replies) :^)

I also agree that you still have the sound of vinyl no matter what and to some this is a big bonus.

Edited by longedge (Tue 27-Sep-11 07:33:27)

Standard User clmfsh
(experienced) Tue 27-Sep-11 08:06:44
Print Post

Try Audacity

Works well and is free.
Standard User WestUK
(newbie) Tue 27-Sep-11 11:03:37
Print Post

Guys thanks for all the replies.

I will give this a go and see where it gets me.
Standard User bluetroll
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 27-Sep-11 21:22:46
Print Post

I use Wave Corrector - a shareware program that does quite a good job of getting rid of pops & crackles (also hiss & flutter with tapes).

Personally I quite like the sound vinyl rips can produce.

"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders."
Standard User Zadeks
(committed) Tue 27-Sep-11 22:12:28
Print Post

Use a loseless codec.
Standard User jamesperrett
(regular) Fri 30-Sep-11 13:05:54
Print Post

I do this sort of thing as a part time business. The first thing to check is that your turntable is set up properly, the stylus is in good condition, properly lined up and tracking at the right weight (usually towards the higher end of the manufacturer's recommendation). The record has to be free of dust and residue.

Just about any software will produce a decent recording of a record in good condition but I'd look at Izotope's RX or Adobe Audition if you need to do any de-clicking. Everythng else that I've tried or heard (with the exception of the very expensive Cedar system) leaves artefacts. For a record with just a few clicks I will just remove them manually using Audition's 'Fill Single Click Now' button but I'll use the automated click removal if there are many clicks.

Some records sound distorted because they've been damaged by playing with an old stylus - or just lots of playing - so I'll try things like Audition's Center Channel Extractor to reduce the distortion as the distortion is usually not heard in the centre of the stereo image.

If you spend lots of time on the sound, I would advise that you create audio CD's at 16 bit resolution before you compress to mp3 so that you have access to the full quality sound if you decide you want to encode to a newer standard in years to come. Make sure you use decent quality CD's for this - I'd recommend Taiyo Yuden discs as they've proved to be very reliable over the last 17 years that I've been burning CD's.

James.
Standard User WestUK
(newbie) Fri 30-Sep-11 13:47:10
Print Post

[re: jamesperrett] [link to this post]

Many thanks.

Your advice is appreciated

John
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to