Technical Discussion
  >> Audio and Music Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User RogerE
(committed) Fri 11-May-12 13:17:38
Print Post

Acer desktop with Realtek HD not detecting line-in

[link to this post]

Hi,

Haven't been able to find answer on line, so maybe someone here can help?

Have been trying to transfer old cassette tape recordings to PC. Only have a Panasonic "boombox" now, so have connected it via its headphone socket to the pc line-in and doesn't work. (Have tried to connecting to Mic-in on a friends laptop and that works fine - except signal too loud, even with cassette volume down)

The Realtek manager port diagram shows all ports except rear speakers (which work fine) greyed out. The recoding sources shows it there, but greyed out, and doesn't show it as disabled, rather no cable connected.

I have tried connecting the line to the mic-in socket - exactly the same.

I have reloaded latest Realtek HD driivers from the Acer site, and Windows (Win7 64bit) reports drivers working ok.

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks

Roger
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Fri 11-May-12 16:40:06
Print Post

Re: Acer desktop with Realtek HD not detecting line-in

[re: RogerE] [link to this post]

You may need to play around with the Realtek Audio Manager settings. I've had fun with this on several occasions to get various inputs and outputs to work.

A few quick thoughts:
* Check the Microphone 'tab' and set what the volume settings are.
* Are any of the inputs muted?
* See what the Device Advanced Options are set to.
* Does microphone boost help?

Tony
Standard User ggremlin
(committed) Fri 11-May-12 17:16:19
Print Post

some cards can be configured to use sockets differently, for instance as 5.1 surround output. hidden in sound manager.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Daniel_g
(member) Fri 11-May-12 17:22:36
Print Post

Got an acer laptop and found it a bit complicated when doing what you want but from the line out red and white phone sockets on the mains Minidisk.

Using the mobile phone MP3 tunes now and the 3.5mm headphone plug each end lead as guess you have and trying to do.

Made up recordings of live recordings from the church sound desk as stereo mix to MD, then track mark up and top and tail the tracks.

Then onto computer as 16 bit 44.1Khz stereo so CD quality WMA files and then when made up to computer audio tracks, CD creation program too CD.

Job done!.

Done live bands and wedding services this way years ago, not with this computer. 12 years ago the first one I did with original computer and CD recorder drive in the thing (desktop like yours now).

Got a recording now quickly of some tunes on the phone headphone output to windows 7 sound recorder ( in all programs, accessories).

Try right clicking the windows speaker icon bottom corner, then click recording devices.
then right click line in (not connected if not, mine does anyway!). ok plug into tape recorder or choices donet come up.
So after right click of line in (with the green circle with a tick as connected to an input) box opens and bottom is properties.

Do that and tabs at top , 2nd one is LISTEN, do that and in there a box to tick of listen to this device.

Other taps and choices but thats be the good one.

Then if you bring up the mixer by the bottom speaker icon, line in is there with its slider.

Works for me.

Line in is the green one, is on my computer anyway.

Recorded 10 seconds of Taylor swift ( on the phone american country and a bit sad but all good stuff).

Plays back ok as the file saved to desktop as windows media audio sure is needed to be ok for CD creation.
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Mon 14-May-12 20:16:54
Print Post

What make/model of Acer is this? Some motherboards need a jumper shifting to obtain the configuration that you want and yours may be one of these. Is there a front panel line/mic in and if so, does that work?
  Print Thread

Jump to