Technical Discussion
  >> Audio and Music Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Moderator billford
(moderator) Sat 19-Jan-13 17:28:40
Print Post

Philips Fidelio AD7000W

[link to this post]

I've been looking for something to play iTunes music that, if not actually portable, is reasonably small and more easily move-aboutable than an Airport Express, amplifier and speakers... and doesn't cost an arm and a leg!

Came across the Philips Fidelio AD7000W.

It looks OK but over the years I've had somewhat mixed results with connecting Philips audio kit to computers... anyone got any comments, pro or con?

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Sun 20-Jan-13 19:55:05
Print Post

Re: Philips Fidelio AD7000W

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Ah well, over 24 hours and no responses, either for or against... looks like I'll have to find out the hard way grin

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 20-Jan-13 20:26:50
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

10W RMS total output power seems a little low. I wonder when distortion will kick in.

'Sir, please,' she said ... 'Will you not share your wisdom with us?'
'I have no wisdom,' he told her.
'Your experiences, then?'
'They have been trivial, uninteresting, and full of error.'
Ian M. Banks - Feersum Endjinn
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Moderator billford
(moderator) Sun 20-Jan-13 20:32:23
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by micksharpe:
10W RMS total output power seems a little low.
It's only for use in the kitchen when I'm cooking, so I don't have to turn the living room hifi up to anti-social levels tongue

It's plenty for that.

Bill
Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 22-Jan-13 10:52:02
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

Well, it works smile

Couple of glitches during setup (I used the "Advanced", ie non-WPS method) but they were down to insufficient caffeine having reached my fingers, ignoring those it went without a hitch.

I was a bit worried it might not like my preferred location as iStumbler on the MacBook showed low-ish signal (~45-50%), and some Amazon reviews indicated that its wireless performance could be better, but it seems quite happy. Whether it will tolerate the microwave oven (which is about four feet away and between it and the router) remains to be seen tongue

It's 2.4GHz, 802.11b/g only but that's fine for audio.

Sounds quite good for such a small unit, not a patch on the Marantz+KEFs of course, but then it cost a lot less!

No noticeable sign of distortion at full volume, but I don't know what its actual power output is at that setting. It's plenty loud enough though.

Thus far- quite happy with it smile

eta- having just had lunch, it doesn't seem to mind the microwave smile

Bill

Edited by billford (Tue 22-Jan-13 12:33:12)

Print Thread

Jump to