Technical Discussion
  >> Audio and Music Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 10-May-13 18:07:25
Print Post

Sonos Play 5 and Bridge and iTunes..

[link to this post]

Hi all.

Just bought a couple of Sonos Play 5 units and a bridge and im well impressed at how easy it was to set up and control through iphone and ipad or Android device.

My question may sound a little stupid but do i have to have this Mac permanently on to stream music to the device,obviously the answer i have my itunes library as the default folder and was wandering if i moved this to a external hardrive would that mean that my Mac no longer is needed to be powered on or is this not the case.

I have read through some topics regarding this and it seems that the PC/Mac has to be on for Sonos to work,thought i would ask the question as you never know.

Its not a major problem im guessing but it would be nice to just play some tracks without leaving the Mac on for hours.

Cheers anyway.
Standard User woodlander
(newbie) Fri 10-May-13 18:25:49
Print Post

Re: Sonos Play 5 and Bridge and iTunes..

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

You can move or duplicate your iTunes folder to an external drive and Sonos will work from that.

There is (was) guidance on how to do this on the Sonos Support site - and there are lots of v. helpful people on the Sonos Forums who will offer additional help.

rgds
Standard User metalhead41
(knowledge is power) Fri 10-May-13 21:08:26
Print Post

You'll need a NAS of some sort to stream the music to the Sonos if you want to avoid keeping the Mac on.

I bought a Play 5 and think it is an awesome bit of kit, want to get a Connect next to plug into my amp in the living room smile

----------------------------------------------------
We may be human But we're still animals

My Blog | follow me @metalhead41 | Surfin' Bird Dance

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 10-May-13 21:23:33
Print Post

[re: woodlander] [link to this post]

That's what I was thinking ,I have a external hardrive 500 gig which time machine uses for backing up my iMac files and stuff,what is this NAS thing and how does it differ to a normal external hardrive.

Thanks for the help and suggestions and I will check out the Sonos forum,it does state in the manual and I have read around that the PC/MAC has to be on otherwise
Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 10-May-13 21:29:33
Print Post

[re: metalhead41] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by metalhead41:
You'll need a NAS of some sort to stream the music to the Sonos if you want to avoid keeping the Mac on.

I bought a Play 5 and think it is an awesome bit of kit, want to get a Connect next to plug into my amp in the living room smile

Yeah it's awesome,one in living room and one in bedroom connected to mine and the girlfriends iPhones and my ipad,set up was a breeze but there are a few things I need to find out about it as its all new.

When I added my iTunes library when going through the install procedure it was a breeze,but when adding more albums to iTunes I don't seem to find away of updating the sonos program on the iMac,I can use the phones and ipad to update music lists and that works but the IMac music list on the sonos remains the same.

I have seen a time when you can set it to update media,but.not found a quick way of doing it as soon as I have added other music
(knowledge is power) Fri 10-May-13 23:35:50
Print Post

To reindex when you've added new music:-
On your iMac, click on manage then update music library now.
On your iPhone, settings>Manage Music Library>Update Music Library Now

Simples smile

Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 11-May-13 00:10:39
Print Post

I don't see manage in the sonos menu on the iMac ,and basically i noticed if you have both the play5 units of the program don't work anyway.

Girlfriends a sucker for turning all devices of at the plug when not in use,would have though the Sonos program would still be functional though.
(knowledge is power) Sat 11-May-13 10:24:24
Print Post

Manage is on the menu bar (the bar at the top of the screen).

Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 11-May-13 13:45:16
Print Post

Will check it out later,cheers matey
  Print Thread

Jump to