Technical Discussion
  >> Audio and Music Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Mon 20-Apr-15 14:13:48
Print Post

Upgrading an old MP3 player

[link to this post]

I have an old and much-loved Archos Jukebox MP3 player (actually an MP3 recorder) that I would like to upgrade to solid-state storage. It currently has a (broken) 20GB 2.5" IDE hard disk drive which, ideally, I would like to replace with SDHC flash memory. The only problem is that everything bolts onto the 2.5" HDD frame and without it, the whole thing falls apart.

IDE to SDHC adapters are easily available but I cannot find any with 2.5" frames. Apart from hacking the old drive, the best that I can do is buy an IDE to mSATA adapter and then plug an mSATA to SDHC adapter into that (or use an mSATA SDD card).

For the time being, I have ordered another IDE hard drive. Any suggestions?

Faced with the choice between changing one’s mind and proving that there is no need to do so,
almost everyone gets busy on the proof. -- J.K. Galbraith

Edited by micksharpe (Mon 20-Apr-15 14:14:45)

Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Mon 20-Apr-15 14:42:29
Print Post

Re: Upgrading an old MP3 player

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

I think I've found what I'm looking for. That and one of these should do nicely. smile

Faced with the choice between changing one’s mind and proving that there is no need to do so,
Standard User dragon2611
(committed) Mon 20-Apr-15 15:01:08
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

The only other thing I would have suggested if you didn't find the SD adaptor was to look and see if a CF card had been feasible.

I have an Ipod Mini somewhere with a 16GB (I think) CF card in it instead of the micro-drive it shipped with.

The mini is old enough that predates apple encrypting the firmware so it can be made to run rockbox as well.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Mon 20-Apr-15 15:08:18
Print Post

[re: dragon2611] [link to this post]

Yes. CF would be just as acceptable. I don't really want to go down the SSD route. 2.5" IDE SSDs are available (Kingspec) but I'm a bit leery of them. Perhaps I shouldn't be. The main advantage of SD cards is that they're cheap to replace if they go wrong.

Print Thread

Jump to