User comments on ISPs
  >> Be Un Limited

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mrcoggy
(newbie) Sun 15-Jul-12 21:20:54
Print Post

This webpage is not available. DNS lookup failed.

[link to this post]

I've noticed over the last few months that webpages are becoming more and more stubborn to load. Chrome is frequently telling me that DNS lookup failed. Only after a minute or two of waiting and reloading the page will it load successfully. And sometimes it won't.

However, since I starting using Netflix in the UK I got interested in seeing their US library too. To do this I signed up to Playmo which works by changing my DNS servers to theirs. Lo and behold web addresses now work with the reliability they once used to.

However, if Be are now no longer providing reliable DNS lookups is it time to start looking elsewhere at another ISP or is this a more local issue?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 15-Jul-12 21:31:48
Print Post

Re: This webpage is not available. DNS lookup failed - EDITE

[re: mrcoggy] [link to this post]

Many ISP's DNS play up from time to time. It's no big deal and no reason in itself to change ISP.

Just change your DNS settings in router to a public one:
Open DNS : 208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220
Google DNS: 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4
Norton DNS: 198.153.192.50 & 198.153.194.50
These are all free. Did you pay for this Playmate? Can you trust it as a DNS?

EDIT: It seems peculiar the any server on the Web requires you to change your DNS settings to its own. Is it not registered with the domain authorities?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Sun 15-Jul-12 21:39:14)

Standard User mrcoggy
(newbie) Sun 15-Jul-12 23:01:34
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

It's Playmo not Playmate. smile They offer an alternate DNS service to enable the viewing of US based video generally. Netflix, Hulu+, Hulu, NBC, CBS, ABC or Pandora for about $5. I've only used their free trial and frankly it works better than Be's own DNS servers.

If I have to change my DNS to use the internet as it's meant to work I might as well get something else out of it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User StephenTodd
(member) Mon 16-Jul-12 11:02:06
Print Post

Playmo must work by providing a DNS service which arranges to route at least some traffic via their own servers. This will give access to certain foreign sites that are otherwise not available, but may also slow down some other sites. It could even interfere with the data from other sites; I am not suggesting that Playmo does this, just pointing out that they could.

To find the fastest reliable alternatives to the BE servers, try DNSBench. http://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm. You can add BE servers and Playmo ones to the default DNSBench list to see how they compare with some of the best public servers. DNSBench will also point out some name servers that interfere with the standard name resolution; though it can't judge whether such interference is for good or for bad reasons, and it doesn't notice all such interference (eg it does flag that Playmo interferes with the resolution for netflix.com). Playmo dns servers seem to be ok, but not close to the fastest.

I'm not trying to put you off Playmo, just warning of extra things you may want to look into for using them.

--
Moved (with trepidation) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.

Edited by StephenTodd (Mon 16-Jul-12 16:35:14)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 16-Jul-12 12:15:41
Print Post

Re: This webpage is not available. DNS lookup failed

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by StephenTodd:
try DNSBench. http://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm .
Did not compute! Try putting space after URL and before fullstop!

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
(member) Mon 16-Jul-12 16:37:16
Print Post

Re: This webpage is not available. DNS lookup failed

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thanks for the correction; also now corrected in my earlier post. I had not set the reference up as a link at all; the forum software automatically turned it into one, but got it wrong. I'll try to be careful in future. (I don't like the way the link button works on this forum edit software.)

--
Moved (with trepidation) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.

Edited by StephenTodd (Mon 16-Jul-12 16:39:42)

Standard User mrcoggy
(newbie) Tue 17-Jul-12 23:38:02
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

Thanks for the information about Playmo and DNSBench. I use a Mac so I'll have to wait until I'm at a PC to try it out, but your info was useful all the same.
(member) Wed 18-Jul-12 10:35:02
Print Post

I see there is also namebench http://code.google.com/p/namebench/downloads/list , which is available for the Mac too. Seems much slower to run than DNSBench.

It gives some fairly complete information, but I think some of its comments are not correct; for example it doesn't seem to know about all the google servers such as 172.94.34.70, so suggests many of the nameservers are getting google wrong.

--
Standard User TheHorseman
(knowledge is power) Wed 25-Jul-12 13:03:10
Print Post

DNSbench runs under wine, which is available for Intel Macs.

BT -> Zen -> F2S -> Bulldog -> Be* -> BT Infinity 2
Say it with flowers, give her a Triffid smile
  Print Thread

Jump to