General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User SAM67
(newbie) Fri 24-Feb-12 11:52:25
Print Post

How to use??

[link to this post]

Hi guys i'm new here god knows whether i'm posting in the right place or not, very new to all this so appologies if any errors smile my question is that i have got tbbMeter which is working fine in the background but your broadband qaulity monitor how does that work?? I have created one but i just see a blank graph no green, blue, yellow or red lines going up or down lol excuse my knowledge i'm very new smile Please any help would be good. Do i leave it running i mean leave the thinkbroadband page open or what?? I know my ttbMeter is running in the background but i dont know what's happening with this broadband qaulity monitor??

Edited by SAM67 (Fri 24-Feb-12 11:55:18)

Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 24-Feb-12 11:56:45
Print Post

Re: How to use??

[re: SAM67] [link to this post]

Just go back in an hour and there will be the start of the graph ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 24-Feb-12 12:49:09
Print Post

The BQM for your connection is running, but is showing red as your modem is not responding to the ping packets

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User john2007
(legend) Fri 24-Feb-12 13:54:38
Print Post

Some routers (mine for instance) do not respond (by default) to the pings used by the BQM. If you mention your router model someone may know how to enable pings.
Standard User SAM67
(newbie) Fri 24-Feb-12 14:44:19
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

Hi again thanks for the reply guys sorry still learning the ropes but will get there smile Okay i'm using d-link DIR-855 and i'm on virginmedia 100mb/s superhub package. I only use the superhub as in modem mode only its wireless is pathetic frown i like my d-link great fan of it. Just let me know what to do with the ping option ( as to what i have gone through the settings of my d-link i think its in advance then advanced network tab and then WAN PING check box ( enable WAN ping respond ) smile may be i'm wrong. One more thing is there a way that i can only let you through and not everyone as enabling wan is risky just perfect for hackers frown If so what would be the procedure ( may be your ip address that i can add into wan inbound filters so only you can ping me. I need my ping charts as virginmedia needs to look at them i'm having some difficulties ) thanks.

Edited by SAM67 (Fri 24-Feb-12 15:06:48)

Standard User john2007
(legend) Fri 24-Feb-12 15:06:27
Print Post

What you suggest sounds correct. It will be a WAN ping.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 24-Feb-12 15:47:55
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

May also need setting in the superhub, as its firewall may still block the ICMP requests

NOTE: We've had a couple of people this week, where the Virgin Superhub even when configured does not respond to pings, due in part to us using smaller than usual packets for the pinging. (To avoid chewing peoples bandwidth)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User SAM67
(newbie) Fri 24-Feb-12 18:04:12
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Well to me it looks okay but as i said i am very new to all this so please mrsaffron if you could kindly look into whether in any way is the firewall of VM-superhub interfering. Hopefully by tomorrow morning or noon my graph should be good enough to show the results then you can let me know if its all good so i can start taking record of my pings as i'm in dior need of these graphs thanks smile have a lovely weekend.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 24-Feb-12 19:31:36
Print Post

Whatever you did at about 2:05pm today appears to have fixed the BQM and it is tracking latency

Two comments

1. Is your connection idle, i.e. NOT uploading or downloading, as the graph suggests you are
2. If connection is idle then suggestion is congestion on the VM cable network, most likely upstream

Though looking at other VM graphs we are seeing more yellow than for other providers, so maybe a peering link issue, again.

Standard User SAM67
(newbie) Mon 27-Feb-12 00:19:56
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yes my trading charts are open and they keep updating after few secs. I leave them open almost all the time as i need my charts always up to date for the current prices of stock and shares. Hoping my graph shows my broadband connection is healthy as lately im having so much issues with virginmdia superhub 100mb/s connection, it started around 23rd of dec 2011 since then my life has been a misery. Before going to work i leave my trading charts open so when i get back home all are updated and have current stock market price but no, as my VM connection goes around 8am to 9am or rarely around 10am to 12pm until i kick start the superhub power off and on for few secs then it runs smooth till the next morning GLITCH but thing is im at work so there is no one to kick start it frownfrown now u see my problem its so annoying i have launched a complain via VM phone and VM forum they are looking into it. Before when i called them and told the problem their conclusion was all seems normal there is nothing wrong, i had enough and told them if you dont get this fixed i shall cancel my services with them, finally i wrote to them on their VM forum and now they are trying to sort my problem out (they have to pin point where the problem lies before they fix it frownfrown pitty my magic genie doesnt work here) . Hope this gives you a rough picture of what im going through. I'm paying for 100mb/s speed and getting NOTHING in return i have given them last chance they fix or im gone frownfrown very frustrating everyday routine powering off and on the superhub for few secs, its ok when im home but for 6 days im not and i need my charts all updated!!
(NOT ON EVERYDAY BASIS MAY BE ONCE IN A BLUE MOON BUT WITH VM ITS A ROUTINE).

Edited by SAM67 (Mon 27-Feb-12 00:27:42)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to