General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User crowbot
(newbie) Wed 29-Feb-12 20:48:00
Print Post

Help interpreting the graphs

[link to this post]

Hi, I think the BBQM is great, but I don't really know what's going on here. The max latency increases on a daily basis on my cable broadband connection. If I restart my router, the max latency drops to a reasonable level. I've received a replacement router, thinking the router was faulty, but I still have the same problem.

My Broadband Ping

p.s. I don't think it's related to utilisation - it stays high permanently till i restart the router (see here for example My Broadband Ping)

Thanks!
Rob

Edited by crowbot (Wed 29-Feb-12 20:50:29)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 29-Feb-12 23:28:16
Print Post

Re: Help interpreting the graphs

[re: crowbot] [link to this post]

BQM does not show just your connection, but the effect that congestion can have on your connection, and if you look closely the blue and yellow areas get worse around when kids get home from school, suggesting a lot of usage in your area, i.e. congestion

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User crowbot
(newbie) Thu 01-Mar-12 18:48:22
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the response. But I don't think it's a congestion issue. If I restart the router, the graph immediately goes back to "normal", suggesting that it is the router rather than other people using the same cabinet or whatever.

I restarted the router an hour or so ago - you can see how the graph immediately changed

My Broadband Ping

Edited by crowbot (Thu 01-Mar-12 19:36:41)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 01-Mar-12 18:52:12
Print Post

[re: crowbot] [link to this post]

Restarting a router, can break stuff like torrents for a few minutes, so I would recommend ensuring that no-one is running anything of this sort on their computers. Also try disabling the wireless.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 02-Mar-12 09:51:32
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Graph showing effect of rebooting the router

My Broadband Ping
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 02-Mar-12 10:22:47
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

If post restart of the router that link was otherwise idle still not a very good graph.

After a reboot has the IP address Virgin give you changed, or are tracert's different at all?
Also if using the superhub, is there any DoS type protection enabled, as this may give ping/ICMP responses a low priority.

Put it this way, your graph is not a normal pattern, and don't see identical with lots of other VM users.

Print Thread

Jump to