General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Richard_S
(newbie) Wed 21-Mar-12 18:57:45
Print Post

Just how reliable is the Broadband Quality Monitor?

[link to this post]

For the past few weeks I've had issues. Long ping times and slow speeds with VM (especially when traffic managed). I ring, they eventually send out engineers who find no issues. I call and they magically find a fault in the green box which they then "fix" and tell me if it happens again, it's something on my side, ie my PC. Now, as I've tried the superhub in both router and modem mode, and two different PCs plugged in and wired directly I know it's not my end. Other excuses include not having a quick enough broadband connection (10mbit should be MORE than enough to handle a video call) and that being traffic managed won't help (yes, but then that doesn't explain the 3000ms ping time does it?). Also, I'm continually informed that speed testers are not reliable. That may be true, but when several different ones all show the same poor speed, there's an indication something's wrong.

So when this started happening, I installed the Quality Monitor to see what was happening. This has pinged both my own router when the Superhub was in modem mode and the Superhub in full router mode. Since I've started using it, I've seen pings missing every day. We're not talking huge amounts but enough to a) show up on the monitor several times b) to coincide when I have issues with stuttering iPlayer and MSN videoing. Since I've used it, I've only seen one 24 hour period without ANY ping loss. I've tried pinging random severs when I see the issue and sometimes I miss pings and sometimes I don't.

Now, when this is mentioned, I'm told I shouldn't rely on it as it's not reliable. Which brings me finally around to the subject (sorry for the rant). Just how reliable is the Quality Monitor? Is there a page I can check if there's an issue at "your" end. Is there anyway I can say things like "well, it was working fine because it was pinging another ISP and other machines on the VM network so I'm pretty certain there's nothing wrong with their end".

Anything really to discredit the instant "it's not reliable response" to be honest!

For those interest in the fun I get: bit.ly/wMlCAd .

One other question. Is the information from the monitor stored for more than 24 hours? I'd love to see a history mode where it shows from the time it was first started to the current time and date!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 21-Mar-12 19:12:37
Print Post

Re: Just how reliable is the Broadband Quality Monitor?

[re: Richard_S] [link to this post]

Looking at the graph now, no sign of packet loss, there was periods of higher maximum latency between 10:30pm and 11:30pm, at a guess you using the connection.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/faq/sections/bqm.html#313 shows several graphs with a description.

Here is a TalkTalk one, which shows a fair bit usage in the evenings, but a much more stable ping overwise.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to