General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User noobaside
(newbie) Fri 23-Mar-12 12:57:30
Print Post

just had virgin lay a new cable what do ya think of my graph

[link to this post]

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/606596bc522...

theres the link to my current bb graph since i had virgins thickest cable installed for my 100meg con and quite a large number of virgin boxes as the standard cable couldnt cope

the graph shows some pretty high latency spikes and total packet loss at points but i was gaming at the time all through this and had no ill effects. playing on a german bf3 server with a ping of 40

do you think i should ring virgin and ask to get the line regraded as it is now able to actually handle the data as opposed to before.?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 23-Mar-12 13:04:21
Print Post

Re: just had virgin lay a new cable what do ya think of my g

[re: noobaside] [link to this post]

Looks fairly normal for a virgin connection, remember what others are doing in your area will have a big impact, particularly if you have lots of P2P uploaders in the area

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User noobaside
(newbie) Fri 23-Mar-12 13:38:36
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

what would the cause be for the 100% packet loss ive got some pretty heavy gaming priority settings on my pc but dunno if they would effect the router as it has the ability to controll routers that have some sort of local network controll support

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 23-Mar-12 16:00:17
Print Post

[re: noobaside] [link to this post]

The packet loss is most likely congestion causing packets to be delayed, and after a period of time these are then considered lost.

On the local network control support I don't follow you...are you talking about accessing the routers web interface?

Also any gaming priority settings would be negated by the lack of QoS control you have on the Virgin Media network

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User leexgx
(newbie) Mon 02-Apr-12 05:13:07
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

must admit my connection is starting to look like that (and 4 other locations i am monitoring, guess i should of not been recommending VM to every one as i may have made issues my self recommending it)

VM network does not seem to support any QOS on the nodes like BT does, as it lowers the speeds to get an constant service with no packet loss, VM they just seem to try an push max speed and not care about packet loss

its driving my next door person mad when trying to play games (3-20% packet loss)(guess i going to have to bug VM for an bit or use legal letters to get the my area upgraded) i never had issues with the dossic 1 network with 3 I had random problems for the last 3 years

Edited by leexgx (Mon 02-Apr-12 05:14:50)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 03-Apr-12 11:49:02
Print Post

[re: leexgx] [link to this post]

oh ho ho!
have I ever seen many of them VM graphs!
Standard User loopfish
(newbie) Tue 03-Apr-12 11:54:51
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

My Broadband Ping

BT Infinity....
Standard User leexgx
(newbie) Fri 06-Apr-12 23:06:52
Print Post

[re: loopfish] [link to this post]

that just stupidly stable

i can show you my 3 i am monitoring right now

mine
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/ceb6230e61e...

next door (my laptop X button and space bar is bugging me as its not always working)
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/4d85ec428e2...

4 miles away
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/a05e525bd1a...

4miles other direction (very messy this one his connection was Perfectly fine when it was on 20mb, he upgraded to 60mb superhub and the nice result is below) Note this link below may stop working if he gets his router replaced or change to BT Infinity as it get an new IP or it mite get fixed
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/6e1eb30727e...

what do i need to say to Virgin apart from taking them to court to get it fixed (BT at the First 3 ping results is really an option as its less then 1MB but it at least the ping would be 100%)

Edited by leexgx (Fri 06-Apr-12 23:13:07)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 07-Apr-12 01:21:40
Print Post

[re: leexgx] [link to this post]

...." just had virgin lay "

Oh. lucky you, wish I could get.....
#
CABLE !
Standard User leexgx
(newbie) Sat 07-Apr-12 01:58:48
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

i preferred it when i was on the Older DOCSIS 1 network (20mb cable) as i had 0 issues with packet loss, i had 50mb on the DOCSIS 3 network and i have had issues from time to time, but the last post i have done is the worst i have ever seen (then again first time i have monitored it constantly the BQM tool is usfull )
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to