General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 19-Apr-12 10:34:29
Print Post

Black space

[link to this post]

Can anything useful be inferred from a gap in a BQM trace with no info whatever in it?

As here at about 2am.

I've seen it before occasionally, but this time I thought I'd stir myself and ask about it tongue

It's usually been due to a problem at the tbb end, but this time the router log indicated a loss of PPP which I can't reasonably blame on tbb!

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM

Edited by billford (Thu 19-Apr-12 10:35:23)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User leexgx
(regular) Thu 19-Apr-12 17:11:07
Print Post

Re: Black space

[re: billford] [link to this post]

if you had no connection or IP changed BQM would show 100% packet loss

this would be an BQM issue as there is nothing at all showing at 2am

Edited by leexgx (Thu 19-Apr-12 17:12:06)

Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 19-Apr-12 17:49:35
Print Post

[re: leexgx] [link to this post]

All that is obvious, it just repeats what I and the graph said.

It doesn't answer the question I asked.

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM

Edited by billford (Thu 19-Apr-12 18:02:13)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 19-Apr-12 18:03:55
Print Post

Don't have the answer, but have seen the gaps before, and its not that BQM has died, as other connections were still working.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 19-Apr-12 18:10:37
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
its not that BQM has died
If it had stopped pinging my IP for exactly the period shown in my router log, it would mean that it knew when my connection went down and when it came back up again, which would have raised some very interesting questions shocked

"Don't know" is a perfectly acceptable answer, cheers smile

Bill
Standard User tehidyman
(learned) Fri 04-May-12 16:51:40
Print Post

Is the I don't know answer applicable to these black spaces as this example.My Broadband Ping These gaps have appearedat a similar time the last three days both when I have been on line and off line. I generally need to disconnect and reconnect my router to get on line and also my sync rate changes. It only seems to occur in the morning. Any enlightenment appreciated
Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 04-May-12 17:31:06
Print Post

[re: tehidyman] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tehidyman:
Is the I don't know answer applicable to these black spaces as this example.My Broadband Ping
I'm afraid it is as far as I'm concerned frown

I note that just before each of the black gaps there's a short spike of lost packets... whether that might give Andrew (or anyone else) a clue is a matter for speculation crazy

Bill
  Print Thread

Jump to