General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Al1264
(newbie) Mon 23-Apr-12 09:34:32
Print Post

BQM with IPv4/IPv6

[link to this post]

I've set up BQM for both my IPv4 address and my IPv6 address, both work fine individually but if I enable both at the same time the IPv4 one shows very nearly 100% packet loss (just a tiny bit of green, perhaps 1 or 2% along the bottom).
Is this a problem with the BQM system or could it be something at my end (router not able to respond to both requests at the same time??)?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 23-Apr-12 09:41:42
Print Post

Re: BQM with IPv4/IPv6

[re: Al1264] [link to this post]

When you say enable both at the same time.

Do you mean enable on www.thinkbroadband.com, or when your gateway has both the ipv4 and ipv6 addresses?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Al1264
(newbie) Mon 23-Apr-12 11:20:48
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yes, MrSaffron, I mean when I enable both at the same time on http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping If I click 'disable' on the IPv6 address monitor then the monitor on the IPv4 address returns to normal from 'almost entirely red'.

Edit: hopefully these links will work, 22/04 I enabled the IPv6 monitor from midnight until 10am: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/aeb688c67a4...
In the same period the IPv4 monitor showed this: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/7f5020d81f8...

Edited by Al1264 (Mon 23-Apr-12 11:31:55)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Moderator billford
(moderator) Mon 23-Apr-12 11:35:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by Al1264:
Is this a problem with the BQM system or could it be something at my end (router not able to respond to both requests at the same time??)?
It sounds like your router- I run v4 and v6 monitors simultaneously (with a Billion 7800N) with no problem.

At one time I had a v4 monitor to the router and two v6 monitors- one to the router, the other to the computer. No problems.

Which router are you using? Also, are you running IPv6 natively or via a tunnel? Istr the Firebrick software doesn't like tunnels, though it may have been fixed by now.

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Al1264
(newbie) Mon 23-Apr-12 12:32:48
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Thanks billford, it's a Fritz!Box 7390 and running native IPv6.
I really just wanted to know if it was perhaps an issue with the BQM that may crop up in the future as IPv6 becomes a necessity. As I said, the v4 and v6 monitors work fine individually just not at the same time.
Thanks again for your reply.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Mon 23-Apr-12 13:38:22
Print Post

That's a router I know of, but practically nothing about, beyond an impression from other sources that it has its fair share of quirks crazy

As this isn't a widely-read forum, I'd suggest that you give it a few days to see if any useful advice turns up, if not then re-post in the DSL Hardware forum.

In the meantime, some thoughts:

You probably know this, but just in case- the BQM auto-detects the IPv6 address of your computer, not the router. If you haven't changed it, it could be a firewall problem.

There are some useful IPv6 test sites around- this one which gives your connection (v4 and v6) a good workout (but can sometimes be a bit alarmist) and this one which can run a reverse ping to both addresses. The second one runs remotely (like the BQM) and only uses your computer's IPv6 address, so you'll need to open up a route through the firewall (that's why my router uses a dynamic v6 IP but the computer uses a fixed one, it saves a lot of messing about!)

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM

Edited by billford (Mon 23-Apr-12 13:47:38)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 23-Apr-12 17:40:43
Print Post

Cough http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ipv6/test-ipv6.html we can tell you both IP addresses.

Was going to set this up as have a Billion 9800 and Fritzbox at home currently, just need to find time to do the mucking about

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Mon 23-Apr-12 17:43:18
Print Post

Page not found frown

Both from your link and the one on the "Tools" page.

eta- I'd forgotten that one tbh, but it only does a quick test, not as comprehensive as the first link I gave.

iirc it's basically the same as this one

Bill

Edited by billford (Mon 23-Apr-12 17:55:08)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 23-Apr-12 18:38:28
Print Post

Works here, and works from home.

Advantage is that with regard to BQM it confirms what our servers can see you as, and we do run other tests on the other tabs

Moderator billford
(moderator) Mon 23-Apr-12 18:49:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Works here, and works from home.
Odd... I'm connecting to the main site with IPv6, the "What is IPv6" link on the main page confirms, could that be the reason?

Bill
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to