General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Ripley
(committed) Tue 05-Jun-12 23:44:47
Print Post

Disconnect every 12 hours

[link to this post]

My Broadband Ping

Does any body have any idea why my FTTC connection seems to be retraining approx every 12 hours? Does the DLM cause your router to retrain for it to alter your profile?

Seems to disconnect every morning between 7 & 8 am, and sometimes around similar times in the evening.

Freeserve Dial-Up --> BTopenworld --> <n>ildram -->Talk Talk LLU --> ZeN
DrayTek 2850 VN

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by Ripley (Tue 05-Jun-12 23:46:03)

Standard User balami
(committed) Wed 06-Jun-12 00:36:04
Print Post

Re: Disconnect every 12 hours

[re: Ripley] [link to this post]

Hi

Not noticed anything here. Your Minimum pings seem a little high, but it depend on where abouts in the country you are and what zen gateways you connect to.

I hate to state the obvious but could it be you central heating / boiler creating interference?

Have you unlocked your modem and thus able to see thenline stats?

My modem had a couple of resyncs after switching to 80/20 but has been stable at 59999 for the past 22 days.

Regards,

Mark.
Standard User Ripley
(committed) Wed 06-Jun-12 08:22:39
Print Post

[re: balami] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply. I know I definatley don't have anything in my house on a timer. It even happened last week whilst I was away for four days. Got nothing plugged into phone line etc.

Yeah latency is high, it was 10 ms higher on the days prior to the graph you have seen. I've had some problems with random disconnections, openreach just swapped my d side onto a new pair. My modem stats say max attainable rate of just over 50 meg but my ip profile is currently sitting at about 38 meg. Since the pairs were swapped the upload has increased (doubled almost) but the upload profile was 20 meg. Seems the download profile hasn't reset it's self.

I had it in my head that I read somewhere that on FTTC your line has to re sync to allow any profile changes, wonder if that's what's happening here or it's another issue causing 12 hourly resyncs. They are not happening to a set schedule, can be an hour either way and sometimes the evening resyncs don't happen at all.

Freeserve Dial-Up --> BTopenworld --> <n>ildram -->Talk Talk LLU --> ZeN
DrayTek 2850 VN

My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User balami
(committed) Wed 06-Jun-12 12:05:49
Print Post

[re: Ripley] [link to this post]

Hi,

I've not had FTTC that long, cabinet went live begining of March. I was the first to be connected a week or so later and then got a speed boost when swicthed onto the 80meg product. My line is around 500 - 600m in length, I keep an eye on the stats and have recently started to use the BQM too, which is granular enough to show a resync event.

My main interest is to see what effect interference has as more people connect to my cabinet. Checking my stats, the line has been in sync for 25days, the SNR is down to 4.3 (from 6) and the FEC / HEC errors are 421790 / 278537 respectively.

I suspect that in order to add or remove interleaving a resync is required, I have seen my first hop ping's vary from 10 - 16ms as interleaving is added and luckily removed again. Not sure why your line would need tweaking that fequently or at those specific times. Logic says that if BTO were to apply profile changes to a line they would do it in the early hours of the morning when the line is least likely to be in use.

One thing you could answer for me, is how long does your router take to do a PPOE login? I have a netgear FVS 318N this takes around 4-5 minutes to login after it has powered up. This seems excessive.

Regards,

Mark.
  Print Thread

Jump to