General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User checker_square
(newbie) Fri 13-Jul-12 09:16:45
Print Post

100% packet loss when my main PC is turned off

[link to this post]

Hey all. Getting a bit frustrated with this. I have a virgin media superhub and I have the TBB quality monitor setup. My IP has not changed, it is still the correct one. I have set it to my public IP. I have set the virgin media superhub to respond to ping on WAN port, and I have NOT setit to forward any requests to a specific LAN side IP. I have turned all port forwarding rules off (I did originally have some set but not now) and yet I still get 100% packet loss when I turn my main PC off. It cannot ping my superhub if the main PC is off.

Why might this be?

The superhub is on and has been on for 40+ days and my internet has not had a single outage during this period that I am aware of.
(newbie) Fri 13-Jul-12 09:25:00
Print Post

Re: 100% packet loss when my main PC is turned off

[re: checker_square] [link to this post]

Also just to add, I just set two constant running pings from my work place on two different internet lines and they both have kept pinging my public IP throughout me turning off my main PC at home. So the superhub responds to ping from WAN all the time, yet the TBB quality monitor cannot.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 13-Jul-12 09:31:42
Print Post

What is your username on the main thinkbroadband website, I can take a bit more of a look then

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Fri 13-Jul-12 10:06:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi there it is " coursemyhorse "
thankyou

EDIT: I turned the main PC off last at 9:20am as you can see from the instant 100% packet loss. During this time, my public IP still responds to ping.

Edited by checker_square (Fri 13-Jul-12 10:07:26)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 13-Jul-12 10:13:24
Print Post

The IP addresses all make sense, all I can presume is the superhub is playing odd when no PC's are connected.

Our pings are smaller than the usual ones, to reduce data usage, but should still illicit a response, of course coders may not have allowed for that.

What firmware are you running on the superhub? Maybe there is a newer version and are first person to see this issue.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Fri 13-Jul-12 10:46:19
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It says I am on V5.5.2R30

I know there is an R36 out but it is beta right?
  Print Thread

Jump to