General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User myst12
(newbie) Tue 04-Dec-12 20:43:24
Print Post

BT Broadband Dropping Out

[link to this post]

My Broadband Ping from 22nd Nov

Hello, I am looking for advice on a BT Business Broadband account, above is a typical day of our broadband connection. I have reported a fault with BT several times in the last few months as the internet on premise can drop up to 10 times in one day, and it can be very annoying to staff member who are usual in the middle of an internet process such as a sky call to China.
After talking to BT support many times I get a solution for a couple of days and the problem returns, the last time BT told me the line synchronisation is out the correct and then say this is fine.
Could anyone shed any light on what might be causing these constant dropouts?

My Broadband Ping from 3rd Dec

Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 04-Dec-12 20:54:10
Print Post

Re: BT Broadband Dropping Out

[re: myst12] [link to this post]

First step is to look at the router stats and determine if the modem is losing sync at the times you are getting the long red lines.

Then it is a case of checking whether using the test socket that is under the removeable faceplate on the master socket improves things.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User myst12
(newbie) Tue 04-Dec-12 21:34:46
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply,
I will look at the router stats next time the connection drops.

As for checking if the test socket makes any difference I should have mentioned the ADSL filter is already plugged into the test socket as instructed by a BT customer advisor who believed that the BT faceplate with integrated filter and RJ11 output was at fault, even thought it had only been fitted less than a month before.

The router being used is a Netgear DG834Gv5

Thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 04-Dec-12 21:40:29
Print Post

Pretty much a case of keeping a track of the stats, and seeing if the noise margins vary much. If they are varying then points to a noise issue.

If its just sudden unexplained drops in sync with no pre-warning like noise margin going below 3dB, then something like a security light coming on, or some other source of random occasional electrical noise may be the issue

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User myst12
(newbie) Wed 05-Dec-12 17:01:15
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hello, We experienced a few drops of our connection today and I have the corisponding data from the router and the noise margin jumps up to 51 just before a dropout.

My Broadband Ping for 5/12/12

Any reasons why this might be happening, I will post a link of my excel readings.

Thank.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 05-Dec-12 21:25:23
Print Post

A noise margin of 51 sounds very wrong, usually in the range 1 to 20dB. Can you copy/paste a set of the numbers from the router.

If noise margin is jumping around it suggests lots of noise in the AM radio range, something that heating pumps, christmas tree lights and many other things can produce.

Print Thread

Jump to