General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User DanielCoffey
(newbie) Wed 05-Dec-12 19:23:13
Print Post

How long for a new BQM to become active?

[link to this post]

I have registered on the main site and set up my details to start generating a BQM but even after ten to fifteen minutes the graph is not visible to me and the "download results as CSV" is empty except for the column headers.

Provider : Virgin Media 100Mb
Cable modem : VM SuperHub in Cablemodem mode
Router : Asus RT-N66U as the router with Respond Ping request from WAN = Yes
Hardware : Mac Pro 2010
Browser : Safari 6.0.2

I have provided my IP address to the BQM settings so I wondered if there is an initial delay before a new BQM is made active for me. I am aware that the lines on the graph are 100s each but I don't even get to see a graph. Are new BQMs moderated?

==
Daniel
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 05-Dec-12 21:29:20
Print Post

Re: How long for a new BQM to become active?

[re: DanielCoffey] [link to this post]

Did you create the BQM via the same username? As no sign of one being in the system for that username.

There is a VM connection listed for you, but that is under your connections and NOT the BQM, this is done via http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/monitors/create.html

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User DanielCoffey
(newbie) Wed 05-Dec-12 21:40:14
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Ah, I understand.

It appears that all I had set up was the My Connection entry for logging speed tests. I have now created the BQM entry from the link you provided and it is now active.

Thanks for the help.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jimmyjack
(newbie) Wed 12-Dec-12 11:40:13
Print Post

[re: DanielCoffey] [link to this post]

ht think this odd, but I wouldn't recommend any speed test as such. I would be more inclined to measure your download speed by downloading a file from a good server and taking note of the speed at which it downloads. Most browsers allow you to do this.

Thinkbroadband have their own at thinkbroadband download
Select their smallest file to download, in your case. You will get a good measure of the download rate after 10 seconds or so. You probably won't have to download the whole file.

Virgin Media: 100mb/10Mb , land line, mobiles x2, TV - VIP HD box + TIVO 1Tb box.

jimmy
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 12-Dec-12 11:55:38
Print Post

[re: jimmyjack] [link to this post]

If on a 100 Meg line, then to give time for the browser to settle you need 10 to 20 seconds of file, which would mean you need to use the 100 MB file at a minimum.

Our tbbMeter tool also has this option built into it, as well as letting you track any other activity you are doing.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to