General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User raz407
(newbie) Tue 22-Jan-13 19:24:39
Print Post

Unusual 100% packet Loss

[link to this post]

Hi Peeps

Looking for some input into why my BBQM would show as 100% packet loss whilst i was at work?

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/56ddb1407c6...

The router seems to have stopped responding to ping requests around the time i set off and only started replying again when i came in and logged in to TBB. Internet worked straight away without issues when i came home.

Ive checked the router and its up time has been over 2 days so hadn't crashed. The WAN address is still the same. Does the router go into standby mode if it has no devices connected or no requests internally for access to the WAN?

Any help would be appreciated as i was looking forward to having a full graph as evidence for VM before i complain about the quality of the line.

Cheers
Ryan
Standard User Uilebheist
(legend) Tue 22-Jan-13 19:28:28
Print Post

Re: Unusual 100% packet Loss

[re: raz407] [link to this post]

It may be set to dial-on-demand (or similar words) rather than always on.
So when you go and look at the graph it "magically" starts working again.
Check your router's configuration.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 22-Jan-13 19:28:51
Print Post

It seems to be a feature of the Superhub, as as soon as I read the first line of your post I was scanning to see which ISP you were with.

So yes looks like router maybe drops into some standby mode if no LAN activity.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User raz407
(newbie) Tue 22-Jan-13 19:45:35
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Do you know if this is a feature i am able to turn off? I've looked through the advanced settings of the super hub and I'm unable to see anything that may suggest its a feature that can be amended.

Cheers
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 22-Jan-13 22:03:38
Print Post

Sorry no idea

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User raz407
(newbie) Tue 22-Jan-13 23:05:03
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I may have figured out a way around it. I'm now sending a ping to Google every 60 seconds. This should hopefully keep the WAN interface alive.

Thanks for your help anyways.
Standard User briansaab
(newbie) Tue 22-Jan-13 23:11:14
Print Post

VM rolled out a firmware upgrade to SuperHubs a little while ago did you get this?

Check in Super Hub Settings and scroll to the bottom of the page, mine is showing Software Version V2.37.01 If yours is showing earlier than this then turn it off for 30 minutes and then back on again. Check as above to confirm it has taken the update.

I am on VM's Up to 60MB and here is my graph:-

My Broadband Ping

Do check that you are still running the same IP Address as it might have changed with the 30 mins turn off. If it has changed then delete the Monitor and set up a new one. This is why I have named mine 2012-09-29 Onward to keep track after upgrading work in my area.
Standard User raz407
(newbie) Wed 23-Jan-13 12:38:36
Print Post

[re: briansaab] [link to this post]

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/de0344da0b9...

I don't think the router is going into standby. I was in the house using the internet this morning after the graph turned red. The graph seems to have stopped responding about the exact same time as yesterday (look at my first post). I've also been on my machine at home from work for the past couple of hours and had the constant ping running since i left the house.

Ive checked the firmware version and it is V2.37.01. The WAN address is still the same also.

I'm really at a loss here?
  Print Thread

Jump to