General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User elziko
(learned) Tue 12-Feb-13 14:08:29
Print Post

Unexplained Packet Loss on BQM

[link to this post]

Here is what used to be an average day for my ping results:

My Broadband Ping Before Power Saving

...then I decided to automatically put my computer into standby every night at 1am and wake it up at 7am in order to make a 25% power saving. I wasn't expecting this result though:

My Broadband Ping After Power Saving

When my computer is off I seem to get extreme packet loss and increased latency. I have a VM SuperHub in modem-only mode connected to my router running DD-WRT. Other than the machine I put to sleep each night I have no other computers connected to the router. I do have a few other devices connected:

Several SqueezeBox internet radios
A SIP based VOIP ATA
A PopcordnHour NMT media player

I think my next step will be to find some time to test with all of these devices unplugged repeating tests after plugging one device in at a time but I don't really understand why one of these devices would cause the effects I'm seeing.

In the meantime, can anyone shed any light on what may be going on?

This issue isn't causing me any problems - I'd just like to know what is going on.

TIA
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 12-Feb-13 14:19:03
Print Post

Re: Unexplained Packet Loss on BQM

[re: elziko] [link to this post]

Seems to be a trait of the superhub to ignore pings when nothing is actively alive on the LAN side of the router, i.e. you are not the first to report this

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User elziko
(learned) Tue 12-Feb-13 14:21:28
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Seems to be a trait of the superhub to ignore pings when nothing is actively alive on the LAN side of the router, i.e. you are not the first to report this

Oh I see. And I suppose that all my other devices that cause tiny amount of activity overnight are stopping me from seeing 100% packet loss.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 12-Feb-13 14:24:20
Print Post

Possibly, but it is a weird bit of code if doing this as its not a normal netgear function.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Daemon66
(learned) Thu 14-Feb-13 09:28:00
Print Post

Since it is your DD-WRT'd router that would be actually responding to the ping and not the SuperHub (because it is in modem mode) the usual issue of the SuperHub not responding when no devices are connected can not be the issue here.

I suspect there is a bug in the version of DD-WRT you are using, maybe when it loses the connection to your PC it enters some kind of loop which overloads it and causes slow response on the WAN side. Your best bet would be to browse the various DD-WRT boards to see if anyone else is seeing something similar.

One final thought, have you off-loaded any network jobs to the PC that has gone into standby, such as DNS or DHCP or are any of the other devices expecting to be able to access the PC? Hypothetically this could be causing one of the other devices to have an issue (Ethernet storm?) which could in turn adversely affect the router (especially if you are also using the router as your switch).
Standard User elziko
(learned) Thu 14-Feb-13 09:36:10
Print Post

[re: Daemon66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Daemon66:
Since it is your DD-WRT'd router that would be actually responding to the ping and not the SuperHub (because it is in modem mode) the usual issue of the SuperHub not responding when no devices are connected can not be the issue here.

I see - so there is still some investigating to do here.

In reply to a post by Daemon66:
are any of the other devices expecting to be able to access the PC? Hypothetically this could be causing one of the other devices to have an issue (Ethernet storm?) which could in turn adversely affect the router (especially if you are also using the router as your switch).

This was the only explanation that I could think of hence the idea of trying it with each other device plugged in turn. Although, as I understand it, none of them should be trying to communicate with the computer during these hours. I'll find some time at some point and test just for he sake of interest.
  Print Thread

Jump to