General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User myst12
(newbie) Tue 12-Mar-13 12:40:16
Print Post

BT broadband drops, large packet loss

[link to this post]

Hi There,

Can anyone help me please I am trying to investigate BT broadband drops. I am seeing some unusual ping readings with a lot of packet drops.

We require the broadband to be on 100% of the time during the day as it is a business premises, but the drops are all over the place.

I would just like some ammunition so to speak before I contact BT again.
Can anyone interpret the BQM graphs for me please?

BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 12-Mar-13 13:17:57
Print Post

Re: BT broadband drops, large packet loss

[re: myst12] [link to this post]

I presume office is busy from around 9:30am to 6:45pm

Basic latency looks high, unless you are in Northern Ireland or Scotland.

The issue looks likely to be the ADSL line is dropping connection, or is experiencing lots of errors at times. Have you done the checks where you unplug everything from the phone line and test the ADSL modem in the test socket.

Problem could be as simple as the line has a fax machine attached that is not filtered, or needs a second filter on it.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User myst12
(newbie) Tue 12-Mar-13 13:35:10
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi thanks for the reply.

Yes in north east Scotland, and office is fairly busy at those times.
I have done all the usual checks and the broadband is the only device on the line, the master socket is within 1 metre of the distribution point.

Some days are better than others Monday 4th March
Sunday 10th March Office closed at weekend and still activity although we are running an internal mail server (MS Exchange), I'm sure that would count for a little.

Many thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 12-Mar-13 13:58:17
Print Post

It looks like as soon as you do anything with the connection the latency shoots up, this can happen if the connection is slow compared to the amount you are using it, i.e. link is saturating in both upload and download directions.

Or it could be that the lights go on in the office and these are causing havoc with the broadband - or something like heating.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User leexgx
(member) Sun 17-Mar-13 04:05:16
Print Post

4th of march would seem to match up with lights or/and heating/Aircon been turned on, as it goes back to normal ish after working hours

changing the router would be an useful idea what happens to the line speed of the router as well (noise Margins and attenuation)

you may also want to add http://f8lure.mouselike.org as you can now view each day when using fire-brick history on there site (also they allow pings past 500ms before marking them as packet loss)

but something is messing with the phone line or the router in working hours

Standard User IanBB
(member) Sun 17-Mar-13 04:37:46
Print Post

[re: leexgx] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by leexgx:
you may also want to add http://f8lure.mouselike.org as you can now view each day when using fire-brick history on there site (also they allow pings past 500ms before marking them as packet loss)

You can also see daily stats for the BQM supplied here.
  Print Thread

Jump to