General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Ozil_416
(newbie) Fri 12-Apr-13 19:56:31
Print Post

Help needed, BQM is solid red

[link to this post]

Hello,

I tried to setup the BQM but the graph is solid red and i'm out of ideas on what to do, i need it to work so i can get an idea of my current ISP as i'm migrating soon so i want to compare.

Setup:

Netgear DG843Nv1 in Modem only mode using (DGTeam firmware) connected to an Asus RT-N66U using (asuswrt-merlin firmware)

My IP is static with my current ISP and i have enabled the setting 'Respond Ping Request from WAN' on the RT-N66U but BQM still won't work.

I have tried the traceroute and i think it's okay.

any ideas/suggestion please?
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 12-Apr-13 20:13:10
Print Post

Re: Help needed, BQM is solid red

[re: Ozil_416] [link to this post]

http://whatismyipaddress.com/traceroute-tool does the last hop get a time to your IP address ?

http://whatismyipaddress.com/ to check IP

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User Ozil_416
(newbie) Fri 12-Apr-13 20:51:22
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

No the last hop doesn't get a time to my IP it just say's N/A, i guess that's bad?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User leexgx
(member) Sun 14-Apr-13 03:51:29
Print Post

its very likely the router is blocking it even though you have told it to respond to pings, turn off, custom firmware can be funny sometimes (turn off UPNP and make sure there is no port forwarding active)

if the router is in modem mode so the second router is getting an internet IP ? (should not be 192 on the WAN page on the second router, if it is then all you have done on the first router is disabled NAT or just turned of the wifi)

Edited by leexgx (Sun 14-Apr-13 03:53:02)

Standard User Ozil_416
(newbie) Sun 14-Apr-13 15:02:40
Print Post

[re: leexgx] [link to this post]

I have tried turning off UPNP and turning off port forwarding but it was still solid red.

The IP on on the second router (RT-N66U) is the same IP that is shown here.. http://whatismyipaddress.com It's not a 192 IP.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 14-Apr-13 16:37:58
Print Post

Maybe pings are being blocked by the Netgear DG843Nv1

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Standard User Ozil_416
(newbie) Sun 14-Apr-13 16:53:29
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I thought that but is that even possible if the the DG834N is bridged properly?

Isn't the pings sent between the RT-N66U and the BQM? and the DG834N in modem only mode doesn't come into it, unless it wasn't bridged properly which I'm sure isn't the case.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 14-Apr-13 17:52:53
Print Post

your evidence suggests that either a) the netgear is not completely transparent or b) the RT-N66U is not responding to WAN pings.

In these situations the firewall logs (if available) may show what's happening.

You could lash up a test to try the RT-N66U response to WAN side pings perhaps ?

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User Ozil_416
(newbie) Sun 14-Apr-13 18:14:50
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

I just done a couple of tests to 'try' and eliminate the DG834N being set up wrong i.e not being completely transparent.

I setup two other modem/routers in Modem only mode/bridged to the RT-N66U and BQM still didn't work.

So i think it's safe to say it's got to be the RT-N66U blocking the WAN pings some how? because it's a bit unlikely if impossible that i have setup all 3 modem/routers wrong.

The person that built the custom firmware (merlin) emailed me and said that BQM works for him on he's RT-N66U, so what gives?

Yes i think there is a way to view/track the firewall/logs.

How would i run the test?
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sun 14-Apr-13 18:42:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ozil_416:
So i think it's safe to say it's got to be the RT-N66U blocking the WAN pings some how? because it's a bit unlikely if impossible that i have setup all 3 modem/routers wrong.

On the factory ASUS firmware you need to set the option under "Firewall" on the big left menu, called "Respond Ping Request from WAN" to Yes. I've not tried Merlin's firmware yet on my N66U.

If that is set on the ASUS responds, as it works on my BQM (using FTTC).

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Speeds 49 / 8.2 Mbps - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m
Huawei modem -> RT-N66U -> Switch -> PC/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone/TV - last speedtest
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to