General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Sw33n3y
(experienced) Fri 19-Apr-13 09:42:17
Print Post

Packet loss?

[link to this post]

Hi,

When I was gaming, I have noticed I'm apparently suffering packet loss of between 2 to 12% so I set up a BQM but I'm not too sure what it is reporting indicates a a problem Graph comparing to the 'Understanding BQM' samples it seems pretty similar to a couple.

I turned interleaving on/up thinking it was an increase in errors on the line however it didn't seem to help. The ping spikes to 60~ are when I was downloading anything else between 6pm and 12am is idle/gaming. Day use was the other half on her tablet/phone browsing and on youtube.

There was no further use of the connection after 2am yet it appears there's a constant level of red along the top. Does that look like I'm one of the ones suffering from the loss issue that some o2/be users have been reporting?

Cheers

Ryan
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 19-Apr-13 09:49:36
Print Post

Re: Packet loss?

[re: Sw33n3y] [link to this post]

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/faq/sections/bqm.html#310

Fits your graph very nicely, and is the same provider, i.e. the spikes are a factor of the modem they use. As for packet loss you have that going on too just to confuse you a bit more.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Sw33n3y
(experienced) Fri 19-Apr-13 09:52:00
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the speedy reply Andrew.

Yeah I understood the yellow spikes are a trait of the modem/router. It was the amount of red my graph was showing in comparison that I was unsure of.

So I am indeed suffering packet loss?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 19-Apr-13 09:53:02
Print Post

Graph suggests yes, and you have something else that suggests yes, so I'd say yes you are.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Sw33n3y
(experienced) Fri 19-Apr-13 10:00:05
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Ahhh joy okay dokey, guess I shall just have to put up with it for a wee while until contract is up.

Thanks again Andrew
Standard User leexgx
(member) Fri 19-Apr-13 10:29:47
Print Post

do you have another router to just rule it out, the high pings will be the router the packet loss is likely the exchange or maybe the router

note the high pings will not affect your Real latency its just the router gives extremely low priority to ping, if you use DMZ to an PS3 or something you probably see ping is normal ping times

i have one customer who is using Supernet (i know, its a non 21CN exchange + None LLU and supernet is very cheap if they change they will be paying £10 more with any one else, they have had it for like 10 years) that has packet loss as well
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/ca22bb88db0...

i have not been back to the address i will be soon to do there antivirus and i see if it is the router or the broadband but its likely they are using packet loss to limit the data rate at peak time

also changing ISP may not fix the packet loss if the exchange is none 21cn (it likely be the same who ever you go with)

Edited by leexgx (Fri 19-Apr-13 10:33:02)

Standard User Sw33n3y
(experienced) Fri 19-Apr-13 10:41:31
Print Post

[re: leexgx] [link to this post]

I don't I'm afraid, I'm using the supplied router from Be. The ping isn't a problem at all and I know that the priority to respond to the ping is what causes it to inflate.

I am most likely to move onto FTTC however the exchange is 21CN enabled.
Standard User leexgx
(member) Fri 19-Apr-13 11:53:17
Print Post

but it could also be doing the packet loss as well

the FTTC will fix that issue completely thought plus speed will be hopefully grate

need to give VM an call when i get back as seems my internet has died a horrible death from the looks of my ping monitor (1)

Standard User ryant704
(regular) Fri 19-Apr-13 11:56:42
Print Post

[re: leexgx] [link to this post]

If there is any packet loss on the local loop or backhaul your ISP/Openreach are obliged to clear it.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 19-Apr-13 12:17:24
Print Post

[re: ryant704] [link to this post]

Packet loss on local loop would be visible as a LOT more errors to the modem.

Most times packet loss occurs it is ISP based somewhere, DSL has lots of error correction to handle this, unless it becomes really bad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to