General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User rob54
(committed) Thu 22-Aug-13 14:48:21
Print Post

BBQ question

[link to this post]

I have a BBQ still visible from when I had o2 BB (I migrated to Plusnet 08/08/13), which still shows as if it was still live. The o2 IPs used to be almost static, staying on one for months or longer sometimes, but since changing to Plusnet, the IP changes often so I set up a BBQ, it shows results for a day or however long, then red as it loses that IP. So I set another etc.

So really I just wondered why the o2 BBQ still shows as live when o2 is not now my current ISP (nor ever will be again of course).

--------------------------------------------------------------
Win XP (SP3) Home, Plusnet Unlimited ADSL (ex-o2 Broadband Standard), Avast Free AntiVirus 7.0, Outpost firewall 6.5
Website hosting & Domain name provider - Dream-Hosting
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Thu 22-Aug-13 15:09:14
Print Post

Re: BBQ question

[re: rob54] [link to this post]

For the Quality meter to show details of latency then there must be a router connected for the ping from tbbqm to the IP (router) to reply back to tbbqm , So maybe someone else has your IP and their router is set to respond to ICMP requests
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 22-Aug-13 18:44:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by rob54:
So really I just wondered why the o2 BBQ still shows as live when o2 is not now my current ISP (nor ever will be again of course).

You're pinging some other poor O2 user - you really SHOULD delete the BQM if you don't own the IP.

Plusnet will sell you a static IP on most of their products for a one off charge - I'm considering moving when my contract with BT Infinity is up for that reason.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 46/10 - Sync 54 / 11 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User rob54
(committed) Thu 22-Aug-13 20:50:22
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:

You're pinging some other poor O2 user - you really SHOULD delete the BQM if you don't own the IP.

Plusnet will sell you a static IP on most of their products for a one off charge - I'm considering moving when my contract with BT Infinity is up for that reason.

Yeh perhaps I ought to delete!

IP really does change quickly. Wasa virtually static on o2. I set a BBQ at about 1pm today and it changed already see
My Broadband Ping

Is there a downside to having a static IP?

Win XP (SP3) Home, Plusnet Unlimited ADSL (ex-o2 Broadband Standard), Avast Free AntiVirus 7.0, Outpost firewall 6.5

Edited by rob54 (Thu 22-Aug-13 20:52:58)

Standard User billford
(elder) Thu 22-Aug-13 21:01:02
Print Post

Yeh perhaps I ought to delete!
Yes, you ought tongue.

If the person whose IP you're pinging wants to set up their own BQM they won't be able to because it's registered to your (main site) username!
Only if you make a habit of getting banned from various sites.

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions._________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6

Save fuel- take a bus. Then you can siphon out the diesel at leisure.

Edited by billford (Thu 22-Aug-13 21:05:16)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 22-Aug-13 23:11:27
Print Post

No, unless you're paranoid about being tracked, and the law can always find out which customer was given which IP on a dynamic system.

Dynamic IP makes it harder to run servers, and many ISPs have been set up with dynamic IP pools for years, from the dialup days, so haven't even bothered to think about modern "always on" connections.

Essentially a dynamic IP once assigned doesn't change unless your modem/router reboots or resyncs, or loses the session with the RAS (PPP/PPPoE/PPPoA etc).

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 46/10 - Sync 54 / 11 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Sat 24-Aug-13 02:07:36
Print Post

You can add a static IP for £5 a month from here https://portal.plus.net/AddOns.html.

Used to be free but that changed when BT bought out. I can say that as I worked there before during and after BT on overnight tech and I used to add them to accounts all the time when people couldn't do it via the Member Centre.
Standard User rob54
(committed) Sat 31-Aug-13 23:19:22
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
Essentially a dynamic IP once assigned doesn't change unless your modem/router reboots or resyncs, or loses the session with the RAS (PPP/PPPoE/PPPoA etc).

If I get a static IP, will the IP always be the same, even if there is a router reboot or resynch, or it loses the session like you describe? Err I know it sounds daft, but I'm only thinking it is a good idea, just to stop the BQM from expiring. I don't host a website on my own computer, but pay a hosting company to host mine, or do I use VPN.

(BTW have deleted old BQMs)

Edited by rob54 (Sat 31-Aug-13 23:20:39)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 31-Aug-13 23:38:02
Print Post

YES. Static means it does not move, it always stays the same.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User billford
(elder) Sat 07-Sep-13 18:45:11
Print Post

Re: BBQ question *DELETED*

Post deleted by billford
  Print Thread

Jump to