General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User stick2urdayjob
(newbie) Fri 11-Oct-13 15:09:37
Print Post

Help needed to interpret monitor results

[link to this post]

Hi everyone,
Am at my wits end with my problem of a couple of months now whilst gaming.

Used to have a great 60mb connection with VM and was coaxed into upgrading at no cost to 100mb. Problems then started with lag on games and complete drop out of connection requring router reboots.

Have had 2 engineers out who have replaced cabling, splitters etc in house and also changed from the older superhub to the new SH2 which now has the v26 firmware.

No improvement.

Download speeds can range from 40-80 and the upload was around 5 but is now 11.

I've been running the monitor from this morning and we havent even reached peak times yet and already it looks like this.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/5462fe90404...

Can anyone with better knowledge of the monitor tell me if this is normal or should I wait and get the full 24hr picture before ringing VM again which I need to take a few shandys for.
Thanks for helping if you can.

Forum voyeur turned participant
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 14-Oct-13 17:16:46
Print Post

Re: Help needed to interpret monitor results

[re: stick2urdayjob] [link to this post]

The ways DOCSIS works means it does have more jitter/latency issues, and it can depend on whether there are heavy downloaders in the area due to the shared nature.

Certainly in terms of latency, upgrading to a faster product would offer no benefit.

One assumes you see latency issues on other services, hence running the BQM, as the usual response from Virgin Media seems to be that it is a problem with our tester and I can assure you that we run a very low jitter/low latency network.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to