General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Kyleting
(newbie) Tue 12-Nov-13 22:53:17
Print Post

Virgin Media Broadband lag

[link to this post]

Hey guys

I was wondering if someone could have a look at my BQM and tell me if it looks alright.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/50ada681193...

It's impossible to play first person shooters, I managed to not have constant stuttering when I was up till 5am a few days ago. It's 30mb broadband and 2 of us using it, we don't really download very much or such either.

Is it the maximum latency perhaps? It's really high for some reason and oddly when I'm in game, my latency says that it is really low like 20 in game but I'm still getting the stuttering. My friend who lives near by and is also with VM is having the exact same issue too.

Edited by Kyleting (Tue 12-Nov-13 22:59:26)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 13-Nov-13 14:13:09
Print Post

Re: Virgin Media Broadband lag

[re: Kyleting] [link to this post]

Its the width of the yellow and blue that are the issue suggesting latency is up and down a lot. Average is not too bad most of the time.

Its this variation that makes gaming hard.

Virgin Cable with its shared local infrastructure suffers more from what others are doing with their connection, so in one town it can be bad, but another absolutely perfect.

VM good for downloads, less good for gaming.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Kyleting
(newbie) Wed 13-Nov-13 15:58:50
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks MrSaffron. Yeah I was assuming that this was what the issue was, I actually downloaded heavily at around midnight to see if it was my usage that was creating the spikes but it doesn't even appear to show.

Any suggestible solutions? Can complaining to Virgin do anything or am I generally screwed gaming-wise?

VM wasn't always like this but I assume this will likely be attributed to more people using the service in the area now. I've actually read that VM is changing their prices and under the terms and conditions I can leave their service without fees, within a 30 day period. I'm considering changing to BT, would that be a better service? Or would it be likely that more and more people are changing to BT fibre optics and they will likely have as inconsistent services as VM?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 13-Nov-13 16:14:07
Print Post

[re: Kyleting] [link to this post]

The way congestion works and the underlying tech means that FTTC services from BT, Sky, PlusNet, TalkTalk et al generally have less latency issues.

A check in with Virgin to see if they have a date for things to improve, but then I would not recommend holding your breath. With the PS4 partnership you'd have expected them to pull out the stops and upgrade to cope with demand.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to