General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mcdigby
(newbie) Tue 26-Nov-13 11:19:30
Print Post

Virgin Media BQM help analysis

[link to this post]

Hello, I was hoping someone could look at the graph for my connection and shed any light or share any insights as to what it is telling me.

Virgin Media BQM Graph

Seems to have a spike every 4hours every during the early hours, so i cant see how that would be over utilisation?

Also including a pingtest that I just performed now
http://www.pingtest.net/result/89750245.png

Edited by mcdigby (Tue 26-Nov-13 11:23:43)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 26-Nov-13 11:33:50
Print Post

Re: Virgin Media BQM help analysis

[re: mcdigby] [link to this post]

Either you are uploading/downloading something every 4 hours, or someone else on your virgin node is doing enough to make it busy and delay ping responses.

To have that much yellow is unusual, suggesting busy area, or an odd Virgin Superhub firmware issue

Can't say I've seen a graph with that exact pattern before.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mcdigby
(newbie) Tue 26-Nov-13 12:59:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks MrSaffron

Speedtests and pingtests are generally good, so it must be a firmware quirk as you say. It's just so consistent in it's cycling pattern. Weird.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mcdigby
(newbie) Wed 27-Nov-13 10:06:28
Print Post

Or alternatively could be that the Superhub is just really really bad.... I didnt try power cycling the hub previously as the internet was working, albeit slowly, but with my history of issues that nothing out of the ordinary. I had tried factory reset and software reboots however.

I randomly tried a power cycle and it has cleared the problem i was having. Graph looks completey different.

After Power Cycle

Graph shows power cycle reboot at roughly 230pm. Latency high/avg/low immediately cleared up. Now I just have to struggle with the net congestion from 9pm till 12am tongue

I assume the router got itself stuck in some bug related processing loop.

Edited by mcdigby (Wed 27-Nov-13 10:22:58)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 27-Nov-13 19:26:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by mcdigby:
Now I just have to struggle with the net congestion from 9pm till 12am tongue

That's VM congestion not internet congestion. Other ISPs don't have that problem.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 46/8 - Sync 50 / 9 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
  Print Thread

Jump to