General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Spitfire400
(newbie) Mon 12-May-14 10:59:02
Print Post

What Are All These Spikes?

[link to this post]

Have been running this graph for some time, and recent behaviour looks like I have scheduled anti-virus updates running or something, however I don't. Have had lots of visits from OR Engineers, especially when I had standard adsl broadband. So my question is, what do all the spikes mean ? Especially the spikes of packet loss? Is this REIN ? Or simply Sky reaching maximum capacity?

My Broadband Ping
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 12-May-14 19:00:04
Print Post

Re: What Are All These Spikes?

[re: Spitfire400] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Spitfire400:
Have been running this graph for some time, and recent behaviour looks like I have scheduled anti-virus updates running or something, however I don't. Have had lots of visits from OR Engineers, especially when I had standard adsl broadband. So my question is, what do all the spikes mean ? Especially the spikes of packet loss? Is this REIN ? Or simply Sky reaching maximum capacity?

Do you have anything plugged in to your Sky router that does anything on a schedule? For example a Samknows monitoring box, or a TV or games system that is looking for updates etc?

It doesn't look like capacity issues I think given its too regular.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6, Now 52/9, Sync @ 55 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
15 years broadband (1999 ntl: cablemodem, BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-AC68U (merlin) - Modem: HG612 unlocked Typical speedtest
Standard User Spitfire400
(newbie) Wed 15-Oct-14 08:57:14
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

This is still ongoing with our connection at home, 2x PS4s(one wired, one wireless). Laptop running Windows 8 (not 8.1) no antivirus other than windows defender, malwarebytes pro. 2 Sky +HD boxes(one wired, one wireless). And about 3/4 mobile devices including iPad Air.

A recent snapshot :

My Broadband Ping

So what is causing this regular spike in latency. If it's DLM. then it is taking an extremely long time to fix our connection, which had a fault on 29AUG2014, and has yet to get back to the 36MBps it was at previously

Edited by Spitfire400 (Wed 15-Oct-14 08:58:58)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 15-Oct-14 11:58:54
Print Post

Far to regular to be REIN unless there is something electrical on a timer that does off at this period.

More likely to be a device using the connection. Time to turn off wireless and disconnect all Ethernet leads one night, and see what happens.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 15-Oct-14 21:46:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by Spitfire400:
So what is causing this regular spike in latency.

do you have a samknows box?

plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - 80/20 - Summer/dry sync 55/9.4, Winter/wet sync 52/9.1
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM - Summer PN speed - Winter PN speed
  Print Thread

Jump to