General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User sipos
(newbie) Tue 13-May-14 22:49:01
Print Post

Comparison with other people on fibre

[link to this post]

I am using Virgin Media fibre (30 Mbps). I often experience long loading times for things (especially YouTube videos) but, even small web pages take ages to load sometimes so, I suspect I sometimes have long latency or high packet loss. I have been running the Broadband Quality Monitor to get a better picture but, I don't really know how my results compare to other people, either on Virgin Media or, other providers. I've shared a link to today's graph here. It's worse than during the week last week but, about the same as yesterday and better than at the weekend. Can anyone else with fibre broadband tell me how this compares to theirs? I'd be interested to hear from people on Virgin or other ISPs. If you wouldn't mind sharing graphs, that'd be awesome but, even just a comment on how mine compares would be interesting otherwise.

Also, does anyone know what ISPs offer fibre and, what networks they use? Is it all either Virgin or, people using BT's fibre network or, do other companies have their own fibre networks? Is there much difference in performance between companies using the same network?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 13-May-14 23:35:29
Print Post

Re: Comparison with other people on fibre

[re: sipos] [link to this post]

The key to interpreting is knowing if you did any downloads/uploads/streaming in the time frame of the graph you posted

Virgin Media generally has a more variable latency than other services due to the technology used.
Fibre (FTTC) from Openreach sold by BT, Plusnet, TalkTalk, Sky etc often has a more stable and lower level of packet loss.
ADSL2+ can actually beat Virgin Media cable services for latency and jitter (variable latency)

As for other fibre options, depends on where you are located, name the town.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User sipos
(newbie) Wed 14-May-14 13:12:32
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply.

For some of the time for the graph I posted, I was streaming TV from Netflix but, the times when I was don't really correspond to the worst periods. The graph looks broadly similar for periods today when I haven't been. While it might explain some bad periods, it doesn't explain them all.

As for town, I'm in London (N19, zone 2).

What's the technology Virgin use called? I ask because I'd like to look up more about the differences.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 14-May-14 14:10:05
Print Post

[re: sipos] [link to this post]

DOCSIS 3.0

Fibre to the Node, then coax cable to the cabinet that you are fed from via more cable. The bandwidth on the coax is shared with others in the area and due to relative speeds of users and size of bandwidth available can give a more variable user experience.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User sipos
(newbie) Wed 14-May-14 14:18:28
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks.
  Print Thread

Jump to