General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User rhetherington
(member) Fri 18-Jul-14 08:10:05
Print Post

With and without QOS (fq_codel)

[link to this post]

Without QOS: Average latency spikes into the 60-70ms range while downloading large files.

With QOS: Even when downloading large files average latency only touches 30ms. An increase of only 5ms from my minimum.

This is with a TP-Link WDR4900 running a recent snapshot of OpenWrt Barrier Breaker and using the default qos-scripts package with my speeds set to approximately 90% of actual speed (determined by speed test).

I get no complaints from other users of the connection. Even when multi-gigabyte files are being downloaded or torrents are being shared the connection remains responsive for people on VoIP calls, Skype, or gaming.
Standard User rhetherington
(member) Sun 03-Aug-14 08:35:36
Print Post

Re: With and without QOS (fq_codel)

[re: rhetherington] [link to this post]

A new BQM graph after a bit more tweaking.

Using the speed stats listed on Zen's page for my account i've adjusted the up and down speeds in my QOS settings to 95%.

fq_codel is set to aim for no more than 5ms of additional latency no matter how loaded the connection is, and it succeeds. Even when downloading and uploading at capacity (well 95% per QOS settings) average latency only increases around 3ms.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 10-Aug-14 20:44:11
Print Post

Re: With and without QOS (fq_codel)

[re: rhetherington] [link to this post]

I just noticed pfSense has a setting for codel
smile

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to