General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User paulcdb
(learned) Sat 19-Jul-14 18:49:04
Print Post

Lot of spikes after switching to fibre.

[link to this post]

Just curious to see if others have had the same issue. This image is probably the best way to show it.

Can see where the fibre was installed and it went from cleanish pings to what looks like my routers just had a heart attack, or 10!

Would this be caused because there's now a modem separate to the router?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 21-Jul-14 10:15:51
Print Post

Re: Lot of spikes after switching to fibre.

[re: paulcdb] [link to this post]

The two box solution should not be the cause of this, unless the router is one that behaves poorly for ICMP Echo (Ping)

More likely the DLM for FTTC will kick in and raise interleaving or slow you down to reduce error rates, which may be behind the variable latency.

You can double check the router by doing some outbound pinging to see if similar issues arise.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 21-Jul-14 20:13:36
Print Post

Could you be doing large update downloads (Windows, Mac, android, iphone ?) or someone has guessed your WiFi password?

James - plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - Sync 55/9.4 (BT was 51/9.8)
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - PN BQM - PN speed - old BT speed

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User paulcdb
(learned) Sat 02-Aug-14 10:21:42
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

thanks for the replies.

I didn't think the modem would effect it but wanted to double check. Might have to bite the bullet and just buy a new one then. just strange that it went from hardly ever, to constantly high pings and the only thing changed was fibre went in and modem put between the original router.

I'm pretty sure no-ones guessed my wifi passkey since it's 63 characters long and it's only my devices that show up in the connection logs. smile

Not a huge issue, it's just a curiosity thing!
Standard User PaulKirby
(learned) Sat 02-Aug-14 21:32:09
Print Post

I thought ours looked bad Broadband Ping and we was only doing web browsing and the odd streaming of SD films, as for securty we ended up having a very long pass phrase and also only allow devices with the allowed Mac numbers, there is noting wrong with being paranoid tongue
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 03-Aug-14 00:31:43
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

MAC addresses aren't encrypted, so add no value to a good 63 character WPA2 code. Don't use WEP or WPA (1) just WPA2 with AES.

15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - PN BQM - PN speed - old BT speed
Standard User PaulKirby
(learned) Sun 03-Aug-14 14:08:22
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Well I was aware MAC's wasn't encrypted over Ethernet due to its part of the header and is used to know where to reply back to when stuff gets routed etc.

Most people haven't a clue, so we should be ok, also if somebody was that good they could still probably get in if they really wanted to..

We use WPA2-Mixed so we can use TKIP or AES.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 03-Aug-14 16:31:32
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
Well I was aware MAC's wasn't encrypted over Ethernet due to its part of the header and is used to know where to reply back to when stuff gets routed etc.
Most people haven't a clue, so we should be ok, also if somebody was that good they could still probably get in if they really wanted to..
We use WPA2-Mixed so we can use TKIP or AES.

I personally avoid TKIP - and WPA2 is only AES, if a device connects with TKIP its WPA1, and TKIP is around as it was easier to update hardware that was designed in the WEP era.

WPA-TKIP has published flaws, that have been used to crack into networks. Nowhere near as easily as WEP, but its not a strong protocol - and not surprising given it was designed in a hurry to fix WEP.
http://www.airtightnetworks.com/home/resources/knowl...

WPA2-AES also apparently now has a detected vulnerability, but exploiting it causes legitimate traffic to stop on the whole network, so its pretty obvious when someone attacks you, all the others are "invisible" attacks.
http://www.networkworld.com/article/2214616/wireless...

If truely paranoid, use WiFi on a separate VLAN and have no access to PCs with real data on - but most people can't do that smile

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 03-Aug-14 17:34:14
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
WPA2-AES also apparently now has a detected vulnerability, but exploiting it causes legitimate traffic to stop on the whole network, so its pretty obvious when someone attacks you, all the others are "invisible" attacks.
http://www.networkworld.com/article/2214616/wireless...
Don't forget that "Hole 196" can only be exploited by insiders already connected to the network smile

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 04-Aug-14 07:12:41
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Don't forget that "Hole 196" can only be exploited by insiders already connected to the network smile

Ha, do you trust your kids/friends etc ? smile Worth having separate SSIDs for visitors!

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to