General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 14-Aug-14 23:19:53
Print Post

Mine has stopped.

[link to this post]

Early this morning I lost connection to the internet for a short time. It came back so I didn't look any further. However this evening I noticed my BQM isn't working any more.

The normal reason for a BQM failing is a change of IP address, but I thought I was on a static one.

Looking at my speed test results I clearly am not. Mine is IPv6 and has been changing frequently since I went onto IPv6. It bears no relation to the one I used to create the monitor. So it isn't driven by the actual address in my case. The BQM on my IPv6 connection has been working perfectly since 16/12/13.

My next step was to run a reverse tracert from tbb to me. That gave an interesting result. It appears to work fine, but the final "host" appears to be an ID for me in the Plusnet IPv6 system. (ipv6testnn.plus.com).

If I use the tool here to see my IP address it returns the associated IPv4 address which I think is static. Also different from my "permanent" but currently unused PN static IPv4 IP address.

Any clues please?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 15-Aug-14 07:38:30
Print Post

Re: Mine has stopped.

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Any clues please?

Is your router pingable? Tried rebooting it?

Two other sites that will show what your IP address is (should show the same as the tbb tool):

http://ipchicken.com
http://www.whatsmyip.org/

They both show the IP and reverse DNS name for your connection.

James - plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - Sync 55/9.4 (BT was 51/9.8)
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - PN BQM - PN speed - old BT speed
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 15-Aug-14 10:02:58
Print Post

Other than what you've figured out no idea.

Maybe we are not seeing you as an IPv6 user any more.

The test at http://labs.thinkbroadband.com/flashipv6/ will load (page is dual stack) but will ONLY run if the connection is IPv6

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 15-Aug-14 12:16:27
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yep. Thanks smile. IPv4 on a normal speed test and your labs one. Time to get onto them.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 15-Aug-14 12:18:50
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Thanks James smile.

Yes, it's pingable, as I ran the tbb tracert, as above. That doesn't display the IP address though.

Anyway, as per my reply to Andrew, I'm back on my temporary IPv4 address.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 15-Aug-14 16:32:01
Print Post

It's being discussed on the Community forums. There are a couple of new Plusnet gateways and they aren't allocation IPv6 properly. Somehow I've got onto one.

But Andrew, when I run the tracert from tbb to me, it stops at the PN host. (See my OP). Is that normal, or should it stop at my IP address, i.e. my router? It is showing all 15 packets returned, with a 13-14ms latency.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 15-Aug-14 18:01:06
Print Post

We talking IPv4 or IPv6 traceroute ?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 15-Aug-14 18:24:39
Print Post

I assumed it was IPv6, but seeing as I am definitely now on an IPv4 and just done one it must be IPv4.

Plusnet have it set up strangely. They seem to have a "test account" for people on the IPv6 trial, of the form ipv6testnn.plus.com, and the last hop has that in the "Host" column.

That account has an IPv6 and an IPv4 address. It is that IPv4 address I am on. It is different from my static IP address that I was using before I went on the test, but which I believe I would revert to if I came off the test.

My BQM in the sig shows the current state on my new IPv4 address.

I'm told if I hop gateways I should get back soon to one of the old ones and IPv6 will work again.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 15-Aug-14 18:25:32)

Print Thread

Jump to