General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User aparat
(newbie) Sun 21-Sep-14 18:11:27
Print Post

Confused why its showing latency so high

[link to this post]

Hi that's my BQM from last 24 hours
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/ca2ed0d4351...
here are stats from JDSU when BTO engineer was installing it ( the nicest guy I ever met smile explained everything, test everything, checked wires, quiet line test, just everything and then explained to me what it means, checked for errors and everything come back perfect)
http://i.imgur.com/Z8ZGXC5.jpg

On Thursday my fttc connection has been activated.
I bought Asus rt-n66u to connect to bto modem ( huawei).
I'm just wondering why monitor looks like it looks.
Why maximum latency is so high where in games its always 20-25ms, pinging bbc.co.uk 12ms.
From 9AM to 11AM connection was only used to browse internet stream something and youtube, same from 2PM to 5PM. The best is from 6Pm to 8PM, 9PM to 11PM, and from 5pm till now connection was used everything mentioned above + gaming and that's what makes me thinking how this graph is better when I game. It does not matter what everyone else in my flat will be doing, if I game everything looks better on graph, so I'm just looking for advice if this router is know for such behaviour? Or maybe someone can help me how it should be set up properly.

Edited by aparat (Sun 21-Sep-14 19:07:26)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 21-Sep-14 18:20:34
Print Post

Re: Confused how to set it up

[re: aparat] [link to this post]

Each pixel represents 100 samples on the graph, so the yellow means 1 ping in 100 seconds was at that level, so unless constant not that much of an issue, suggests you were doing something with the connection.

Gaming is fairly low latency, so does not spike latency in the same way as game play, web browsing is short bursts of lots of data then nothing as you read a page. Gaming is small amounts of constant data.

The fact you are getting a graph shows it is set-up right, but interepretation needs you to understand some things like how much data different tasks use.

The RR-N66U has a built in bandwidth monitor to help figure that out.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User aparat
(newbie) Sun 21-Sep-14 18:28:33
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Ok, but like I said, if I game and use connection for everything else at the same time: youtube, browsing, streaming, whatever, its always showing like from 6Pm to 8PM, 9PM to 12AM, and from 5pm.
If I stop playing and still using connection for everything else except gaming it spike to over 140 ms as on graph.
So why is it so much better on graph when gaming+whatever else its being done

Edited by aparat (Sun 21-Sep-14 18:29:30)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 21-Sep-14 23:38:57
Print Post

That may be the behaviour of the router i.e. seeing lots of UDP traffic from the traffic in terms of packets and upping the ante in how it processes stuff.

The odd unsolicited incoming pings at other times may be given less precedence.

The router has a big part to play in the equation.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User aparat
(newbie) Tue 30-Sep-14 10:39:53
Print Post

Thanks for reply. Can you have a look on this graph please

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/0d726aa2183...

Internet was used from 9pm until 1130pm so By the looks of it BQM is useless to me because its always as you can see. When im pinging bbc or multiplay it always 12-13 ms always even if i send 3000 pings they all coming back as 12 ms.

Router is Asus rt-n66u which was recommended in here. Or could it be modem causing it? Modem is huawei 612
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 30-Sep-14 10:49:33
Print Post

My Broadband Ping - IDNet
Another RT-N66U and working all day on that connection, and had some light activity running all night. Though am running Merlin firmware. So the BQM is not broken, but is showing in your case that you are seeing some spiking in your latency, remember yellow is the maximum from 100 pings. Blue is more of a concern as it shows the average is higher. The spiking might just be that the firmware you are running deals with ICMP at a low priority level.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 30-Sep-14 12:23:40
Print Post

FWIW, this is an RT-N66U with Asus standard firmware on the end of a 100mbps leased line. The Asus plugs into the ISP supplied router.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/767a9fe70d4...

plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - 80/20 - Summer/dry sync 55/9.4, Winter/wet sync 52/9.1
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM - Summer PN speed - Winter PN speed
Standard User aparat
(newbie) Tue 30-Sep-14 13:12:38
Print Post

Hmmm interesting. Which firmware number you are usinng MrSaffron so I can try the same one. Im using lates stable Merlins. Oh and tell me if you are using default settings. Thank you

Edited by aparat (Tue 30-Sep-14 13:24:33)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 30-Sep-14 14:04:19
Print Post

Firmware:374.40 (Merlin build)

Have QoS turned off and firewall turned off, but DoS protection off ( on consumer lines to get real DoS protection you have to rely on your broadband provider). Only log dropped packets.

Standard User aparat
(newbie) Tue 30-Sep-14 14:50:56
Print Post

Ok thank you Ill try this firmware tonight after work. So qos off, firewall off, and dos protection off? Is that right? And the rest on defaults.? with firewall off do I need upnp on, or all ports will be open with firewall off ? Thank you
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to