General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User rbetts100
(newbie) Mon 03-Nov-14 14:52:08
Print Post

10% - 30% Packet loss on Virgin

[link to this post]

HI, First time post to please let me know if I am in the wrong place. I live in Brighton and have Virgin Cable Broadband. Service is generally exceptional, i get 152Meg down and about 10Meg up. About 2 months ago I noticed VoIP (Skype, Lync) calls started to drop or have serious glitching issues. I wrote some scripts ping a few external web sites and from my mac to my SuperHub. I could see regular and sometimes 10 - 15 second packet loss to all external websites. My internal connection was perfect.

I also spun up a BQM reverse ping to my router. I see constant packet loss coupled with latency. I have gone round in circles with Virgin support, eventually getting a new modem and then a response on the forum saying they had capacity issues in the area and required additional downstream channels and a potential cab rebuild. Now I am happy to wait out the 3 month SLA for capacity to fix it. However I have a lot of people on the Virgin forum telling me my BQM graph is not capacity related….??!!

So here I am, can anyone who have experience with Fibre and then coaxial delivery tell me if my BQM graph looks like the issue Virgin suggest?

My Broadband Ping"]BQM Graph
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 03-Nov-14 15:47:58
Print Post

Re: 10% - 30% Packet loss on Virgin

[re: rbetts100] [link to this post]

A heavy utilised cable segment can create a BQM with levels of packet loss like you describe.

Your link to the BQM did not work though, so hard to say much more.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to