General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User shuntfield
(newbie) Wed 14-Jan-15 15:42:01
Print Post

Not sure what this is telling me - any ideas/help please?

[link to this post]

OK

I have been having some problems with my internet connection I have FTTC with Timico Partners.

I am on the same ISP and also the same FTTC cab as my sister.
I am told that my line is sync at 74mbps by Timico Partners. However throughput is generally between 8mbps and 40mbps. If I try to use Sky on demand it takes 90 minutes to download a 3Gb file.

So I tried out the broadband quality monitor at TBB.

This is my graph:
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/e88eb6dad12... - I was night shift last night and no computers were on here from around 5pm until 7 am this morning.

This is my sisters:
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/2091e35718a...
Her family would have been in bed overnight and the house is empty during the day.

Can anyone shed some light on what I am seeing.

I think that there is something wrong with my line, but at the moment I am not willing to go for the Openreach £180+ engineer gamble.

Thanks

Shunts...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 14-Jan-15 15:57:21
Print Post

Re: Not sure what this is telling me - any ideas/help please

[re: shuntfield] [link to this post]

Sisters line seems to show usage of the connection in the evening. Your own connection is odd since if only the router connected you would expect less of the yellow. Does look like the connection dropped for 30 minutes around 2am.

What does http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest show when using an Ethernet connection to the router (remember if your speed issues are with wireless they are outside the ISP control)

If the modem is always connecting at 74 Mbps and not showing evidence of lots of errors then a callout is unlikely to reveal anything.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User shuntfield
(newbie) Wed 14-Jan-15 16:03:41
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Andrew,

My sister and her family will be home at around 4pm each day - and the niece and nephew are flat out on their tablets at that time - as will my sister and brother in law.

The OR modem and the router are on a UPS so if there was a power failure due to bad weather then the modem and router will quite happily run for several hours on the UPS.

Throughput is consistently low. I have conducted a few tests at TBB speed test as well.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

I'm certainly not getting what I am paying for and a large downloaded file will start to grind to a halt pretty quickly.

When you say
In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
If the modem is always connecting at 74 Mbps and not showing evidence of lots of errors then a callout is unlikely to reveal anything.

What are my choices in this respect, there is something pretty wrong but getting it solved is my main goal!

Shunts...

Edited by shuntfield (Wed 14-Jan-15 16:04:28)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User shuntfield
(newbie) Wed 14-Jan-15 16:06:55
Print Post

Also tested:

Direct connection to one computer to the Openreach modem, no router.

BT Wholesale TAP3 test - comes back with an error but TAP1 shows that the speed is low <30mbps which permits the TAP3 test.

Tried my sisters Openreach modem.

Tried a completely different router.

Changed the cables

Shunts...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 14-Jan-15 16:09:21
Print Post

The 62 Mbps burst suggests you are getting the speed for a very short time, are the graphs always like that?

The variable upload also suggests something is a little amiss, can you prove that the PC and router etc work 100% around at the sisters.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User shuntfield
(newbie) Wed 14-Jan-15 16:38:58
Print Post

I have tried a completely different router and normally yes, I will get a burst then it falls off.

Plus I borrowed my sisters openreach modem from her house and tried it and the result is somewhat similar.

I also connected my laptop directly to the modem too instead of my desktop and the result is the same.

With the OOKLA speed test its almost a comparable to TBB. The speed spikes then falls off.

I have just this now changed the filter.

So I will see if that makes any difference, I think if I pop to the pub tonight that might keep me out of the way for some baseline testing!

Thanks for your input.

Shunts...

Edited by shuntfield (Wed 14-Jan-15 16:39:56)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 14-Jan-15 17:27:45
Print Post

Tried a different computer, or this computer on a fast line.

Some combinations of AV/firewall software can cause issues with faster speeds.

Standard User shuntfield
(newbie) Thu 15-Jan-15 11:41:19
Print Post

I have tried my laptop and my desktop, both wired to the modem (without a router) and they are both equally as bad, I swapped the modem out and used my sisters modem and that was also the same.

The computers only have the windows firewall running and ESET NOD32 Antivirus installed.

The speed is also similar when I run the OOKLA speedtest from my Android Phone.

Shunts...
Standard User shuntfield
(newbie) Fri 23-Jan-15 23:39:37
Print Post

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/7915bdff502...

I bought an ASUS DSL-AC68U today and that is the trace with me not being home all evening.

This is compared to the old router with me away for the entire time.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/f62f30ef7f9...

Router = SHOT!

Shunts...

Edited by shuntfield (Fri 23-Jan-15 23:42:53)

Print Thread

Jump to