General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Sloth3636
(newbie) Sat 17-Jan-15 22:20:30
Print Post

What happened to my min latency at 7am ?

[link to this post]

My Min latency has suddenly returned at 7am to it original 20ms. (Router is off during the night)

Any ideas as what has caused this ?

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/3848ac807fe...

On a more general BQM question why is the min latency so stable and not like the varying average or maximum latency ? When I use the BT wholesale speed checker the min latency varies between 70 and 30 ms ?

Edited by Sloth3636 (Sat 17-Jan-15 22:38:32)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 21-Jan-15 10:14:10
Print Post

Re: What happened to my min latency at 7am ?

[re: Sloth3636] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Sloth3636:
On a more general BQM question why is the min latency so stable and not like the varying average or maximum latency ? When I use the BT wholesale speed checker the min latency varies between 70 and 30 ms ?

Why - because it is the minimum. The TBB test is throwing large numbers of small packets at your connection, some will go straight through every node without any delay whatsoever, just as if there was no other traffic. That defines the minimum - the shortest time.

The BT Wholesale is not the minimum, probably an average taken during the speed test and will always be above the minimum. It is the typical or operational latency.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 21-Jan-15 13:39:57
Print Post

Re: What happened to my min latency at 7am ?

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

The BT Wholesale test is most likely to be a small TCP package, i.e. BQM is ICMP latency and speed tests usually show TCP latency

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to