General Discussion
  >> Broadband Quality Monitor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User sebastionp
(newbie) Sun 25-Jan-15 12:12:28
Print Post

Any advice please?

[link to this post]

I've been working away for 3 years - now home 100% since December and have noticed constant problems with my ADSL 8Mbps connection which looks like it was migrated to Coms.com from ADSL24 last year. I was not getting these problems with ADSL24.

I'm synced at the full 8128K with stable SNRM, however am getting very slow speeds and IPlayer freezing etc at some times of the day but especially after 20:00 on weekdays and all weekend - which seems to match the ISP's offpeak period. Speed tests drop typically drop to around 0.2 Mbps and latency rises to 2000ms or complete packet loss.

Weekday BQM - http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/27c99b3bf96...

Saturday BQM - http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/1a926fc000e...

I was away last week, so my router was idle but the packet loss pattern was still the same.

Logged with Coms.com for nearly a month - but they keep saying it has been passed to their carrier to monitor and then closing the ticket. Any help in interpreting the BQMs would be appreciated.

Thanks

Andy
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 25-Jan-15 12:30:02
Print Post

Re: Any advice please?

[re: sebastionp] [link to this post]

Abysmal packet loss.

If the line looks good, then its time to change providers.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User sebastionp
(newbie) Sun 25-Jan-15 12:50:39
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the quick reply. My cabinet is being FTTC enabled in March so I was hoping to wait until then before switching if it did not improve. Is there anything I can ask my current ISP to do to fix the problem or should I bite the bullet now? E.g. is this a fault that they can fix or just a poor network overall? I have provided them with detailed data roughly every week for the past month - BQMs, BT Wholesale speed tests and 24hr traceroutes etc which they say they have passed to their "carrier", but nothing is coming back from them.

Thanks

Andy

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 25-Jan-15 12:54:13
Print Post

[re: sebastionp] [link to this post]

Based on others posts and people leaving its wait till March or migrate to the provider who will do your FTTC too and make sure they don't mind you upgrading from ADSL to FTTC then

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 25-Jan-15 12:57:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Abysmal packet loss.
If the line looks good, then its time to change providers.

I would borrow another router and swap filters, just in case - but unlikely to make much difference.

plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - 80/20 - Summer/dry sync 55/9.4, Winter/wet sync 52/9.1
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM - Summer PN speed - Winter PN speed
Standard User sebastionp
(newbie) Sun 25-Jan-15 13:08:23
Print Post

Thanks very much. I'll wait until Coms.com respond (or more likely close the ticket again).
I need a static IP pool, so I will probably switch back to Zen who are actually now quite a bit cheaper than my current package for double the usage limit - and a no traffic management guarantee.

Thanks again

Andy
  Print Thread

Jump to